Thursday, March 11, 2010

The difference a year makes

Last night, I was looking through a drawer and found one of my old journals. There was an entry from almost a year ago to the date and it made me stop and think about how my life has changed in that year.

A year ago, I had just lost a job that never made me happy and that I dreaded going to each morning. I guess you could say it was a blessing in disguise as it got me out of a job that made me very unhappy. The next four to six months were very stressful as I could not find a job. It was very frustrating to land interviews only to have the potential employer tell you that you are too experienced and too educated for a position. Or on the other hand, have the potential employer tell you that you don't have enough experience even though I have a university degree.

A year ago, I was about ten pounds heavier than I am now and hated my body inside and out. I was very uncomfortable in my own skin; never letting Mr.D see me completely naked when I was changing or always hiding my body. Moving away from my family and adjusting to living with Mr.D for the first time made me not pay attention to the weight that I was steadily gaining.

Today, I have landed a job that I love. I never dread going into work; I come home happy and with energy to do things after work. I love my co-workers and my job is less than 10k from my house. Sure, there are days that stress me out, but at the end of the day, I wouldn't trade this position for anything. My job uses my university degree and challenges me on a daily basis.

Today, I have managed to lose the ten pounds that I had gained over the past year. It meant little changes on my part, but those little steps mean a better and healthier Leigh. I have made lifestyle changes that include working out at least 5 times a week and making changes to my eating habits. These changes mean that I am more confident in my own skin and now longer hide behind clothes when changing in front of Mr.D. It means that I love myself and my body even if it's not perfect.

As I look forward to the next year, I am excited to what it will bring. In five months, I will walk down the aisle to marry a man who loves me no matter what and supports me in everything I do. My job may be temporary, but I strive to be the best I can be in the position and hope that they will decide to keep me on for longer. The last year has not been perfect, but it has made me grow in so many ways.

3 comments :

  1. Great post! It is amazing the difference a year can make. Glad things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing to see how much our lives can change in a year hey!

    This time last year I had no vehicle and was living with Eric. We were both going to school full-time and our lives were drastically different as we had to plan out every little thing we wanted to do around the bus schedule. I was still adjusting to living so far away from my family and I was FREAKING out about finding an internship for the summer. I still thought I wanted to be a journalist.

    This year, I'm in a long-distance relationship and the internship that I was so freaked out about getting has turned into a job that I love.

    Fun post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You HAVE come far in the last year. I am excited to see what the next year has in store for you!

    Even though you have made all these wonderful changes, it's wonderful that you've met a man who loves you as you are, 10 pounds more or 10 pounds less; jobless or working in a lovely job. That is just wonderful!!

    A year ago I was finishing up my MBA degree & wondering what was going to happen w/ my job offer (I got my offer for my current employer and was supposed to start in June but they pushed it to October so I spent most of 2009 wondering if it would get pushed out indefinitely).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...