Friday, March 11, 2011

{recipe friday}

Happy Friday everyone! I am so glad that it’s Friday…this week has seemed to drag on for some reason.

This weekend we are:

  • well I am running my first 10k on Saturday! Excited but nervous and I hope the weather cooperates
  • maybe going to Yuk Yuk’s to see a comedian
  • puppy class with Harley on Sunday

This week’s recipe is spicy sausage with dilled orzo. It is pretty simple to make and so delicious! It makes a lot, and we usually have enough for dinner, plus a big serving for lunch the next day.

Ingredients

  • 4 large sausages, preferably hot Italian
  • 4 ripe but firm tomatoes
  • 2 peppers, preferably different colours
  • 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
  • 2 cups (500 mL) orzo or uncooked rice
  • 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
  • 1 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) each chopped fresh dill and basil or 2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil and 11/2 tsp (7 mL) dried dillweed
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced

Steps

  1. Oil grill. Heat barbecue to medium-high. Prick sausages in several places. Thickly slice tomatoes and halve peppers. Brush with about 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil. Place all on grill. If they won't fit, add only half the tomatoes. Cook, covered, turning often. Remove tomatoes to a big baking sheet when grill marks form, 2 to 4 min. Then add remaining tomatoes. When peppers are charred and sausages cooked, 12 to 16 min, remove to the baking sheet.
  2. Meanwhile, boil orzo or rice following package directions. Two minutes before orzo or rice is cooked, stir in broccoli. Drain and turn into a big bowl. In a small bowl, whisk 2 tbsp (30 mL) each oil and lemon juice, ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper. Stir into orzo mixture. Chop grilled tomatoes and peppers. Slice sausages. Prepare herbs and onions. Stir all into orzo. Taste. Add more juice and salt if needed. Delicious warm or at room temperature. Will keep overnight in the refrigerator.

What are your plans for the weekend? Do you like recipes that others have tried first?


10 comments :

  1. Good luck on your 10k! I love 10ks. They are juuuust long enough. I'm doing a half marathon on Sunday. Those are too long. Why do I keep doing them? LOL I'm starting the carb loading now. Never can be too prepared. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in your 10K- you will do great! races can be fun and torturous at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck in your 10K! You're going to do fabulous. I am working at the yoga studio, going for a couple of runs and BUYING PAINT this weekend :D Eric also starts his new job so I will be alone at the house from 7 - 2 on Saturday and Sunday, hopefully I'll be productive :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, delicious! I've never had dilled orzo! Thanks for sharing girl, and have fun at the race:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Friday to you too! I love your blog! I will definitely have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds soooo good! Will have to try this one out!

    I like recipes that others have tried first because I am not very good at picking them! This way I know it is a good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck girly!!! :)

    My running has been put on hold due to an excersise injury caused by Jillian Michaels. Grr

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on the 10k! I love sharing recipes especially if someone has already made them. Then I know the are good. Have a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your 10k went/goes well! I hoep the weather cooperates with you. I was hoping to do a 7 mile run outside this am but it started snowing lat night. :( Boo. So I am going to hold off and do it at the end of the day & hopefully by then the running paths will be cleared. Fingers crossed. I really don't want to do 7 on the dreadmill!

    I prefer to make recipes that someone else has tried already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hope your 10k went well!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...