Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Training Tuesday

As I am a week behind on my weekly training recaps, it means that this week is taper time. Still blows my mind that the past almost twelve weeks have gone by already.

Week Eleven

Total Kilometers
36

Cross-Training
Swimming: 0
Biking: 0
Insanity: 40 minutes

Other
Walking: 11. 4

Thoughts
This week was one of my worst training weeks in regards to my runs. I had major PMS and was feeling tired and grumpy overall, so none of my runs during the week went well. I am happy to say that my last long run of 16k, which I did on Sunday was MUCH better than the rest of my runs.  My long run went pretty good overall. I had zero cramps, which was awesome. The weather was a little warm out and I ran out of water at 13k, so my last three 3k’s were slower. But overall, happy with how it went and it’s amazing to know that I indeed can do this!

After my long run on Sunday, I had the most delicious glass of chocolate milk. I was inspired by Amber and Lisa and it is the greatest idea ever!

Questions
1. Any last minute tips, pieces of advice for race day? Anything I need to know?!

2. If you check out the weather forecast below (not that I am stalking it or anything!) you can see that it will more than likely be raining on Sunday. What should I wear? I’ve been lucky to escape the rain so far while training so I have no idea what to wear! Help!

image

Here I come Calgary marathon! Please be nice to me Smile


8 comments :

  1. My biggest recommendation for race day in the rain is get some sort of hat or visor to keep the rain out of your face/eyes. Also, pay closer attention to the temperature than the rain. When we ran Portland it was pouring on and off all day but the temp was around 15 C so I was actually a little too warm in shorts and a long-sleeved shirt. Probably would have been better off in a t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the hat/visor. I did a half marathon in the rain (and there was a LOT of rain) and the brim of my hat was my best friend. And yes- it can still be warm in the rain if the temperature is warm- I did that half in a tank top and shorts and was only cold after the race.

    Another thing that has helped me more recently on race day has been to write a mantra or a "theme of the day" on my hand. Whether it is "SMILE" or "don't think just run", I've found that when things are getting tough, having my goal or mantra or thought written down on my hand to look at helps me refocus.

    You've done the work- have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll third the hat/visor! My first 5k it rained and I regretted not wearing one. The rain got in my eyes and it was so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My weather looks exactly the same for my race!!! In the rain I've usually worn a jacket but my coach made me take it off a couple weeks ago because he said I'd overheat and he was right. I just enjoyed the rain. I did wear a hat but since I don't wear one normally, it did bug me a bit and makes you very warm! If you've never run with a hat you might want to give a try this week or buy a cheap one that you can toss if you don't like it during the race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started drinking chocolate milk after my runs too!! Delicious!

    I don't have any advice, but I wish you the best of luck!! I can't wait to read all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not run in the rain yet either. So if you find anything that works, be sure to let us know! Carb up and get plenty of rest the night before. Eat a banana in the am and hydrate! That's all I got lol. Good luck and I can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't do anything new on race day! A hat is a good idea if it is raining or if it is sunny.

    I will probably wear a long or short sleeve shirt, a vest, hat and capris. J isn't racing this time so I might wear another layer and shed it just before the race starts. I am going to make the final decision the morning of.

    At least the forecast is starting to look better for Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This 1/2 came up so fast, but you are so ready for it. My advice is to not overdress - so even if it's cool that morning, resist the urge to wear too many layers becuase you will pay for it when you have to stop & shed a layer.

    Also, don't try anythign new - as others have said. If there is a random fuel on the course, like a gel, that you haven't tried - don't try it!!

    Good luck, dear! You'll do awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...