Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lake Chestermere Sprint Triathlon Race Report {part two}

Picking up where I left off yesterday, I had finished my two laps of the bike course and was heading into transition.

Transition two

This transition was way quicker as all I had to do was take off my bike shoes and helmet and throw my running shoes on. I quickly grabbed a few sport beans to eat while on the run and I was so thankful for them!
IMG_1366IMG_1367

The run

The run course consisted of two laps which were about 2.3k each. There was two little hills that felt HUGE when your calves were cramping and legs were feeling like jello! One part of the run course was through a neighbourhood and someone had put out a sprinkler for us. So, so thankful for it as it was hot out by this point!
IMG_1369

I was really hot during the run, so I had to take a few walking breaks. I think those saved me and I was happy with my choice to walk.

4.6k run: 27:31

After two laps of the run course, I was so happy to be going through the finishing chute!
IMG_1372IMG_1373

Overall finishing time: 1:46:39, 6 out of 9 in my age group

Final thoughts

First and most importantly, I want to say a huge thank you to my husband for getting up super early with me, cheering me on and taking lots of pictures. I could not do it without you!

Second, thank you to Rachel and her family for coming out to watch. It was nice to have familiar faces cheering me on.

As soon as I crossed the finish line, I was so happy to be done. I can say with complete certainty, that this triathlon was way harder mentally then running the half marathon was for me. The swim beat me down so much, that I really struggled for the rest of the race. But, a day later, I can say that I am happy with myself for starting and finishing the race. Lots of people will never do a triathlon in their life time, and I am glad I have had the experience of doing it.

Maybe not this year, but I will be back to do another sprint triathlon to show that open water swim I CAN do it! Smile


12 comments :

  1. Congrats Leigh! You did it!

    www.ilovecafemoka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! You did great. :-) I hope you had a tasty adult beverage that night to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I love that someone had a sprinkler on for you! Awesome. Good work on getting throught it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so so proud of you Leigh! From the bottom of my heart I am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You did so amazing and are absolutely right that this is something most people will never be able to say they completed! :) Huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! What a great accomplishment! Your husband took great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad we got to watch you! I was so proud! Every time you passed us you would say how tired you were. Poor Leigh! But you DID it! And might I add that you looked cute the entire time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHOO HOO! Way to go! And I think that is a REALLY speedy time for a sprint tri so that's awesome you had such a great time even though you didn't feel amazing!

    I've heard that triathlons are mentally tough with doing the three sports! I know training for 3 sports is already mentally tough so I'm sure doing them is even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a strong finish! I am definitely afrad to do a tri, but mostly because of the biking. And the transitions.

    Congrats on a successful first race!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, congrats! Quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did great!

    I talked to a lot of people that freaked out in their open water swim. I wish I had brought my wetsuit the day before and swam the route. I think it might have prevented my freak out. Live and learn, right?

    I'm glad to hear you think you'll do another one next year. :) It was fun meeting you, and I'm sure we'll end up at some more of the same races!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Leigh!!!! You did an awesome job!! I much prefer the pool swim because there are way less things to deal with than in the open water. I wish I was in town so that I could have cheered you on! How was the lake? Lots of seaweed or did they clean it up ok?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...