Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Goodlife Victoria half marathon: race report

Race morning started bright and early at 5:45am. The race started at 7:30am and we were less than a five minute walk to the start, which was awesome. We left our hotel around 6:50 and had lots of time at the start to warm up (it was chilly!). Lisa, Amber and I were all running the half marathon and it started 7:30am while Lauren’s marathon started at 8:45am.  Lauren was a good friend and came to the start with us to take the pictures below Smile
IMG_4041IMG_4042IMG_4048
We were all aiming for sub two hour half marathons, so we started out together. Within the first three kilometers, Lisa had pulled ahead of Amber and I, which was fine as she was on fire!  Within three kilometers the rolling hills started and didn’t stop. They were never super steep hills, but enough of an incline that I was mentally over them very quickly.
Throughout the race, Amber and I were playing cat and mouse as I kept getting cramps and had to stop to walk to get rid of them. Every time I would stop, I would pick up the pace to catch up with Amber. We stopped at almost all of the water stations and stayed together until around kilometer 16. The course was pretty gorgeous as it went out and back along the water. I would run it again as a fun race just to enjoy the scenery more Smile

My stomach was feeling off for the first half of the race and finally around kilometer 13 it settled down and I realized I could finish strong. Kilometer 13 t0 20 went by pretty quickly and I turned the last few corners and saw that there was only 800m to go and turned on the jets. Unfortunately, I think I turned them on too soon as I started to feel like I could puke and had to slow it down in the last 200m! Let’s just say I had to kindly ask a lady to move her head from over a garbage can so I could make friends with it Smile

I crossed the finish line at 1:57:42 which is almost a minute off my first half marathon! I was pretty happy as my first half had barely any hills where as this one had constant rolling hills. Minus the puking, it was a great race Smile I also have to say, they had delicious post race food! The cookies were so delicious and I am still dreaming of them! Smile
IMG_0933

You can read Amber’s recap here and Lisa’s here. The pictures are courtesy of Lauren and Amber, so thank you girls! Smile

After running my third half marathon and watching Lauren finish her marathon so strong has me itching to run a full marathon. Yes, a full marathon. I am still debating which one to do, but if you have run a full marathon, I would love to hear your experience and any tips you have for me!

16 comments :

  1. Great recap! I am impressed that you have ran 3 halves already. Look how speedy you already are. This was my 4th! And I have been running since '06!

    My advice is to try to find a group to train with! And find a beautiful course that is flattish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I would look at running the Edmonton Intact Marathon - flat course which would be great for a first full, but the downside it is mid August and the heat could be bad!
    I ran Woody's in Red Deer last year and would recommend it too, great course - a lot of shade, only a couple hills (one at the very end) but it is in May which means training in AB winter! Yuck! haha
    I want to run another full one day, but just not sure when yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Leigh. That is so awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome you were sub 2 hours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaaa! I definitely wouldn't have made my goal if it hadn't been for playing cat and mouse with you the first 16 kilometers! That really pushed me on.

    I think you should do Calgary for your first full! Even if it is a bit hilly, it will feel good to run on your home turf. And that way you can have more people out to support you which will make a HUGE difference. I wish Kamloops had a full-marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job!!! I can't believe you puked at the end! You certainly don't leave anything out on the course!

    And contemplating a full marathon? You are crazy!! How about the Scotiabank Calgary Marathon? I would definitely cheer you on!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the PR! And LOL to the puking. hahaha. That is your THING. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeay for a PR! Congrats, that is so awesome! When it comes to doing a full, I say GO FOR IT!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You rock!! Run so hard you puke--maybe that's what I need to do to get that sub-2:00 :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you puked but it sounds like you rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! Sounds like a gorgeous race. I wish I lived closer so that I could give it a try.

    I hear Calgary is a tough marathon course- but staying at home has its advantages!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Calgary's is a tough one. That hill up shaganappi is killer. At least for me it was. But like others have said it's here at home. My friend just did Kelowna and said it was flat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so proud of you!!! I dream of breaking 2 hours for a half marathon! That's my big goal. I am so so proud of you. I know I said that already, but I just want you to know it. I know we haven't met in real life, but I'm so glad we're friends. You done great, Leigh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pics, Congratulations for a great job well done. Looking forward always.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...