Wednesday, November 9, 2011

{what i’m loving}

I decided to do something a little different for {what i’m loving} Wednesday this week. Instead of listing things that I am loving, I thought I would list some recipes that we have tried recently and have loved.

Turkey & black bean chili

2tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large celery rib, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 28 oz (796 mL) can crushed tomatoes
1 28 0z (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
2 19oz (2 x540 mL) can black beans, drained, rinsed in cold water and drained again
1.5 cups (375 mL) beer, turkey or chicken stock (I used chicken stock)
2 cups (500 mL) diced cooked turkey meat (I used chicken)
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels

Place the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat. When hot, add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic and cook 5 to 6 minutes, until softened. Mix in remaining ingredients and bring to a gentle simmer. Partially cover and simmer about 45 minutes, until the chili is richly flavoured, thickened and bubbly. Taste the chili and add salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serves 8-10.

This made enough for a dinner and lunch for both of us plus enough to freeze for another dinner and lunch for both of us. Perfect meal to make on the weekend and freeze for a week night meal. 


Pumpkin sticky buns


Put 2 tbsp butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tbsp maple syrup into a 8 inch square or 9 inch round pan , then put in the oven and turn on to 350F  to preheat.

In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups flour, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1tbsp baking power and 1/4 tsp salt.

In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup pumpkin (or squash or sweet potato puree), 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup canola oil.

Add to the dry ingredients and stir until you have a soft dough.

On a well floured surface, roll or pat dough into a 9X13 inch rectangle, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.

Roll up lengthwise and cut into 8 or 9 slices. Set cut side up in the pan (on top of the goo) and bake for 20 minutes, until golden.

Homemade mac  & cheese  (found here)

Ingredients:
2 cups dried pasta
2 cups 2% milk
1 cup loosely packed shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dijon mustard (I left out the mustard and it was still delicious)
Directions: 
In a small saucepan, add pasta and milk.  Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, until pasta is soft, stirring frequently and ensuring milk does not boil.  Turn heat off, add cheese & salt & and stir to combine.  Stir in the mustard a little at a time to taste. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes, then stir again and serve.
If you would like to bake it at this point, place in a baking dish and top with a generous sprinkling of cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 10 minutes until cheese has melted.
Makes enough for 4 people with no leftovers (can easily be doubled).

After I made it in the saucepan, I put it into a casserole dish with bread crumbs on top and baked it. Seriously delicious!

Tell me: what recipes have you been loving recently? Do you have any good crock pot recipes?

9 comments :

  1. Those all look yummy! Pumpkin cinnamon buns are the best!
    Have you seen the pumpkin and black bean soup from Sweet Tooth Sweet Life? It is probably the best soup we've tried in a while! I also have been making batches of cornbread muffins and freezing them to go with soups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound scrumptious. I want mac n cheese now too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love turkey chili! I need to remind J to make chili with turkey next time. He always likes to add tons of black beans to his chili- I like some, but not tons.

    Those sticky buns look delish! I was totally craving a cinnamon bun yesterday but held off. Instead I had timbits!

    That homemade mac & cheese sounds similiar to the one that J and I made last week! Even down to the baking it in the oven with bread crumbs on top. So good! Will have to make it again soon.

    I see all these great recipes and want to cook/bake but then I get home and I am too lazy/tired/hungry etc etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for making me hungry again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. pumpkin sticky buns yummy i want some

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Great recipes. I would make that turkey chili - sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pumpkin sticky buns?! I know my husband would love those. Thanks for sharing these recipes. Great twist on WILW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this a couple of weeks ago and it was great! http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-turkey-chili-10000001176221/ . I used red kidney beans because the husband doesn't like black beans and instead of taco seasoning, I used spices (cumin, onion powder, chili powder and chipotle chili pepper).

    I also loved this served with some sour cream and cilantro over rice. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html

    And finally, I tried crock pot jambalaya last week for the first time and we really liked it. I left out the chicken and used lean turkey sausage. I'd probably use a hot Italian turkey sausage next time for extra kick, and the Aylmer spicy red pepper diced tomatoes for more spice. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/slow-cooker-jambalaya-recipe/index.html

    Those pumpkin sticky buns look great! I think I might make them as a treat this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...