Thursday, February 9, 2012

All you need is love: our love story


Valentine's day is quickly coming up and it will mark 3 years since Mr.D and I got engaged! And then the week after is our 5 year dating anniversary. Crazy how time flies and how much has changed since then!  In honor of both of those and so I can join in with the link up on the fabulous Becky's blog From Mrs to Mama, I thought I would do a post on our love story.

1. How long have you and your significant other been together?
Mr. D as I affectionately call him and I have been together since February 2007. So coming up on five years!
 
2. How did you meet? {What's your "love" story?}
Mr. D and I met in Cancun, Mexico. Yes you read that right! I was on a vacation with my mom and younger brother, while Mr. D was with seven guy friends. One night, my younger brother and I were hanging out in the resort sports bar and met Steve and Robbie, who were part of Mr. D's group. Steve was really, really drunk at the time, and was pretending to punch me. Still don't really know how that started, but we started talking to them. A while later, Mr. D came into the sports bar {he had gone out to a club, but wasn't enjoying it so decided to come back to the resort} and we started talking. I decided to call it a night and Mr. D offered to walk me up to my room like the gentleman that he is. The best part of the story? Mr. D forgot my name, so he had to get his friend to introduce himself the next day so he could remember it! He will never live that one down :) We had two more days together in the sun and both headed home on the opposite sides of Canada. 


After our holiday, we kept in touch through MSN {oh those were the days!!} and text messages. In April, Mr. D came to visit me at school for the weekend. After that, we knew that we had to make it work. Making it work included long distance for a year while we each finished school, plane rides to see each other and lots of time spent on the phone! I moved to Alberta in May 2008 and have been here ever since :)

3. If married, how long have you been married? If not, is this the guy you hope to marry? {do tell}
We were married on August 14, 2010, so a year and a half.
 
4. If you are married, where did you get married at? Big or small wedding?  If not, where would you like to get married? And will it be big or small?
We were married at the Old Timer's Cabin in Edmonton, Alberta.  My husband grew up in Edmonton, so we knew we wanted the wedding there. All of my family traveled from Ontario and it was a fun, laid back, amazing day! We had about 110 people at our wedding. You can find all of my recaps of our wedding here.

5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share!
We don't really have nicknames for each other. I call Mr. D on the blog, but not in person. We do call each other mom and dad if we are talking to Harley. Yes, we are those people! But there are no baby, babes, etc thrown around between us...we can't stand it!
 
6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.
-he is so, so supportive of everything I do from training for a half marathon to crossfit to my work
-he has such a big and caring heart
-he never fails to make me laugh
 
7. Tell us how he proposed? Or your ideal proposal?
Before we got engaged, I had been pestering Mr.D that I really wanted to get engaged. Each time the conversation came up, he kept saying that he wasn't ready and that he would let me know when he was. Because of that, I had no idea that he had already bought a ring or asked both of my parents! Since my parent's live in Ontario, he asked my dad in October 2008 while he was out for a visit. Mr.D didn't end up proposing, so that is lots of planning! Mr.D ended up asking me on Valentine's day 2009 at home. He gave me a card and all that said on the inside of the card was look up. When I looked up, he was kneeling on the floor with the ring in hand. It was perfect :)
 
8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?
I wouldn't say either of those. If anything, flowers and a sweet card. Neither of us are overly romantic and that's fine with us. I prefer to get flowers for no reasons throughout the year then on one day.
 
9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?
I am such a homebody, so definitely pop a movie in and relax on the couch type of girl.
 
10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?
Hm, I think that would have to be to take a trip somewhere. We both really want to travel to Greece or Italy one day, so I would have to say that.
 
11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine's Day. 
We have zero plans as of right now. It will probably consist of a nice dinner at home as we are doing a no eating out challenge for the month of February.
 
12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's day?
Nope, can't say that I have asked for anything. A sweet card and a big hug would be perfect for me :)
 
13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love. 
Compromise and communication. If one person is never willing to compromise on things in your marriage, it will cause big issues. Same with communication, if you cannot communicate with your partner, it is hard to build and develop your relationship.
 
14.  Show us a picture of what love means to you.
Our wedding day, which was amazing! Everything went so well and it was such a fun day. 

15 comments :

  1. LOVE this post!
    We want to go to Italy and Greece too! We are actually debating it for this September...And it is out 10 year anniversary that month too, so I thought it was a good excuse. haha
    We are doing the same thing for Valentine's a nice dinner at home and a relaxing night together. It is the best plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love the story on how you met! How awesome that you guys kept in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw- that's a cute story. I like it :)

    We have never really been Valentine's day people, but somehow we have a bit of a Valentine's tradition. The first year we lived in Ottawa, we ended up at with McDonald's coupons (you know, the 2 can dine for $8.99 type coupon) and figured if we were going to eat McDonald's, it may as well be with a coupon.

    I realized as we were eating that it was Valentine's day and we found it funny that we were in one of the least romantic places in the world (especially that particular McDonald's which was one that you had to get the workers to push a button to unlock the bathrooms because it was so sketchy). And from that day forward, Valentine's day became known as McDonald's day and we've gone every year since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I have it prepped to post on valentines day. We want to go to Italy or Greece too! I love how you guys met. So fun! How are we doing lunch out on Sunday if you aren't supposed to eat out!? ah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check you out all claiming your man and telling him you wanted to get engaged! You go girl! Have you guys ever went back to the place you met in Cancun? I want to go to Mexico now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! What a great post idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww I love your love story! It's so sweet, simple and romantic. I can't believe you guys met in Mexico! How crazy! But it was definitely meant to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute!!! I never realized you were engaged on valentines day!

    We are not valentines day people either. Our very first valentines day together was a week after we started dating and we went to the movies and Eric got me a pink rose, which was so sweet. But then we didn't celebrate together again for YEARS since I was a waitress and always worked on v-day (good money!!)

    We have no plans this year. I have run clinic in the evening so will go to that and then maybe we'll have some wine and watch a movie on the couch. We're also homebody's :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys have the best meeting story!! I also prefer a low-key Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you did long distance - we did that too! When you know it's right you just know :) Great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for long distance! We were long distance too :) Such a cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, this was fun to read. You two are such a special couple. I can't wait to meet Mr. D someday! Since you are a fabulous person, he has to be equally fabulous!

    I love valentine's day, but I am not the flowers and candy and over the top present kind of girl either. I would just like to spend quality time together - and definitely would NOT eat out! restaurants are just too busy for me on Vday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seriously LOVED reading this. Such a sweet post. You and your hubs seem like such a great match. That is amazing you did long distance for so long. I am always in awe at couple that can make it last through long distance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The two of you are a perfect match made in heaven! I was really inspired reading every details of your love story. :) God bless you more in your endeavors together. I'm happy for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...