Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Journey to a half marathon {part three}

For the past two weeks, I have been doing a series called journey to a half marathon. You can read the first two posts here and here. Today will be the final post in the series :)


9. Enjoy the experience


  • by the end of your training plan, there will be days where you are ready to be done and just ready to run the race. The race day will come up quickly and will go by fast, so enjoy your first half marathon. Remember to take in the scenery, thank the volunteers and enjoy it!
  • make a weekend of your first race! This past Thanksgiving, I traveled to Victoria, BC to run the half marathon with AmberLisa and Lauren. It was fun to run with friends and celebrate all of our PR's together.
    Amber, myself and Lisa after the race












10.  Take care of yourself after the race
  • once you cross that finish line and are riding the high of finishing your first half marathon it is easy to forget to take care of yourself. 
  • It is important to get food in your body within 20 minutes of finishing. Most races will provide a post race snack of bananas, chips, granola bars, bagels, cookies, etc. The best part of finishing, besides the medal of course, is the post race food and chocolate milk.
  • Once you are home or back in your hotel, make sure to take the time to stretch, foam roll or take an ice bath. This will help decrease the pain the next day.
11. Be proud
  • you just finished your first half marathon, which is something many will not do! Wear that medal proudly as you put in the time, training, miles, etc for it.
Tell me: for those of you who have ran a half marathon, what was your favorite memory or part of it? What was your favorite race? Anything I missed?


8 comments :

  1. Great tips!
    (Love the new header btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crossing the finish line! And knowing all the months of hard work and dedication paid off. I love that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with all of these tips 100%!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite half-marathon is tied between my very first one ever in Vancouver and the one I did with you girls in Victoria! Van was my first half ever and was a HUGE accomplishment for me and the one I did with you girls was when I achieved my sub-2 hour half-marathon goal which took a lot of hard work to get to!

    These are all great tips. I definitely think that people should pick a destination race for their first half or full marathon, it makes the experience that much more special and fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well LOOK at you Miss Fancy New Blog. Lovin' the new layout and header!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I'm currently training for my first half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Besides all the fun training runs, my FAVORITE part is taking care of myself after the race...showering, putting on comfy clothes, eating good food and taking some days off of intense exercise. Oh and usually a pedicure or massage is involved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite race was Victoria. :) It was fun running it with you fabulous ladies!

    I love the feeling of accomplishment when you finish a race. And the post-run fueling.

    I think my biggest piece of advice is to use a trusted training plan (like Hal's), trust that training plan, and stick w/ it (especially the long runs!)

    Great post series!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...