Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Working out & motivation

I consider myself to be a pretty motivated person when it comes to working out. In the past year, I trained and ran three half marathons, two 10k's, one 5k and a sprint triathlon. Let's not forget about starting on my current obsession of cross-fit.


Most of my training weeks look like this:














Well maybe not all as last week included a lot of running on the treadmill. The point is, that I usually work out 5-6 days a week and enjoy it. But there are definitely days where I know I could do more or push myself harder. Last night was a perfect example of that. The crossfit workout was:


3 rounds for time

500 m row 
20 wall balls 
20 pull ups
2min rest

I was the last person done every round and kept getting down on myself. Telling myself that I am not moving fast enough and that I need to push myself harder. Crossfit is a competition against yourself, but I couldn't help comparing myself to the others in the class. 

It's easy to forget that I am strong, tough and fast. My body is capable of so much more than I know and has improved so much over the last year. I may not be the fastest or strongest person in the class, but I am strong. 





























































ljkh








Source: tumblr.com via Leigh on Pinterest


Tell me: how do you stay motivated? Do you ever find yourself comparing your abilities to others? 

8 comments :

  1. So my biggest problem is comparing myself to others. Not like, "why can't I be faster/stronger/better like them" but more like, if I'm doing a timed workout in Crossfit and hubs or my trainer finishes before me - I want to quit. My motivation is GONE when I see someone sitting around resting and I'm still trying to finish the same workout.
    Same with running. If a friend gets ahead of me, I psych myself out and think I can't keep up. So I give up and run slower and don't care. It is the most annoying thing. I've tried to make it a motivator, but it's totally not.
    I think that might be why I did so well in my second marathon - because I ran it alone and wasn't worried about anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loose motivation so easily. I'll work outfor 2 weeks and then miss one workout and then stop. I wish I was as motivated as you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband helps me stay motivated! he is my gym partner :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been struggling with motivation lately. I can go for so long doing great then get a bit busy and miss a couple and then I start to slack off again. I do find motivation from reading what other people have been doing. And if I go with someone else it really helps.

    I totally find myself comparing my abilities - especially in yoga. Why can't I get as deep into the pose as the girl next to me, etc...... Then I get even more frustrated because I recognize what I am doing. Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Motivation is hard for me because I think I got so used to being in sports growing up, so it was easy to be motivated because I had to be, now I do have a hard time, so I constantly keep telling myself that eventually I will get in the shape I want to be, and will see results. I do find myself comparing, when I am at the gym, I think why can that girl run on the treadmill way longer than me and stuff like that. Then I have to remember I am at a different stage in my workouts.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a full week of training! I am impressed w/ your # of workouts and the amount of running you do on top of cross fit! Well done! I try to get 5 workouts in a week. I lose motivation if I am not registered for a race. And I stay motivated by running with a run club (which starts up again tomorrow)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you ARE strong and you ARE fit :) I am thrilled for you & hope you stay proud of what you're doing! Love those two quotes you put up...so true!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is totally normal to compare yourself to others (even in your CrossFit workout). Sometimes that alone helps me be motivated - I watch someone who is similar to me and make a personal goal to "beat" their time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - depends on which one of us is stronger in that area I guess! One thing that motivates me is that when it's done I'm going to say "I did that. I DID THAT!!!!" You got this girl :)

    PS - is that an app you posted a screen shot of? If so what is it?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...