Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What's next?

To all of those Calgary & area bloggers that are planning on coming to the blogger meet up, mark your calendars for Thursday July 19, 2012. I will be doing either a post or sending out an email with all of the details shortly :)

*************************************************************

Now that my two planned half marathons for this year have come and gone, I am left wondering what's next? Do I want to run another half marathon or two in the fall? If so, what ones? Or do I want to do some short races? Or do I want to just casually run and focus more on CrossFit? 

If I were to run another half marathon this year, I want to run a race that I haven't done yet. There are a few that I am looking at: 

Edmonton half marathon: August 19, 2012
Dinosaur half marathon: September 9, 2012
St. Albert fall challenge: September 23, 2012
Harvest half marathon: September 29, 2012
Spank the panc 21K: October 20, 2012
Last chance half marathon: November 11, 2012

Has any local bloggers/runners run any of these races? Any that I should do or stay away from? 

I know that I will continue with CrossFit, but sometimes I wonder how strong, fit, fast I could become if that was all I did and really focused on my WOD's. I doubt that I would ever become strong enough to compete in the open's, but I do know I have little goals I would like to achieve...doing an unassisted pull up, a handstand push up, etc.

In the short term, Mr.D and I might run a pet oriented 5K run this Sunday. I came across it today and it's geared towards running with your dog, so that might be fun to do together with Harley. 

Tell me: what should I do?! Run another half marathon (or two) or stick to shorter races? Have you ran any of the races that I mentioned above?


9 comments :

  1. I cannot wait, only one month! Let me know if you need anything at all!
    I think that I want to start focusing on learning to run properly... sounds weird but I have been watching videos and have new barefoot runners so I want to focus on that and then try and PR at a 10km race. I really enjoy the 10km distance.
    I ran the Edmonton half two years ago and think its a easy race. I have heard the last chance can be brutal because of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I wish Cruz was here, I would join you Sunday. Boo. :( YAY for the blogger meet up! Super excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard really good things about the Dinosaur race!

    I think really focusing on crossfit would be good for a month or two as well, I bet you'd be surprised how well you keep up your running fitness even if you do that. I find that I get bored of certain workouts if I do them too much though so that's why I like my current balance of crossfit, yoga and running. Though sometimes I don't feel like i'm getting my money's worth out of crossfit and yoga because it's so hard to fit it all into a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If nothing else, you need to do the Spank the Panc just for the name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww - wish I could come to the meetup...but I can't do weekdays. I live way out of town (Langdon) and with two toddlers, early evenings are the only time I have with them during the week...

    Maybe if you have another one sometime on a weekend, I'll totally be able to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all look great! Sorry that I can't provide any input for you :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited for the meetup. I marked it down and hopefully I can sneak out of work early! Looking forward to meeting some new peeps!

    I'm not a runner therefore my vote lies with staying with Crossfit for awhile. I don't think you should say you'd never be able to compete for the open. I think you should train hard and see where the next year takes you! I think if I wasn't pregnant I would definitely train to do the open next year. I have a lot of things I need to work on, but regardless of where you place you can still say you worked hard and tried it.

    Good luck with whatever you decide on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a tough call! I love the half marathon distance. I am not great at shorter races, mostly because I train for endurance, not speed. It might be fun to mix things up and train for a fast 5k or 10k.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet- I can come to the blogger meet up!! Now I just have to decide what to bring...

    Do the Harvest Half! That's the race I am going to do... you will finish an hour before me but whatever!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...