Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summer reads





Is it just me or is summer time the best time to read books? A couple of weeks ago, we happened to be by a Value Village, so I stopped in and grabbed a few books. The best part of buying books there? If you buy five books, you get one free. Can't beat that! I know I personally love reading books that others have recommended, so I thought I would recap a few books that I've read recently.


The Blind Side by Michael Lewis
I am sure that everyone has seen this movie, but I always find the book has more information and details. There were a few sections with too much football information for me, but otherwise loved it. Lots of things I didn't realize about Michael Oher and his life growing up.


Forgotten by Catherine McKenzie
This book is about a lawyer who is just a few years into her law career when her mother dies. Her mothers dying wish was for her daughter to see Africa, so she left her an all expenses paid trip. The main character goes on the trip and finds herself in the middle of a natural disaster and lost all forms of contact with the outside world. With no communication in a few months, her friends and family think that she has died. When the character returns home six months later, many things have changed and she has to find her way through all of the changes. I started and finished this book in a night, so it was an easy but good read.


Sweet little Lies by Lauren Conrad
I think this is the second book in the series by Lauren Conrad. The story line resembled the show "The Hills", so it was fun to guess what character would be who on the show, etc. A pretty easy and mindless read.


Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner
This book is the story of two women who were friends as young girls but as life changed, they slowly drifted apart. One night, one of the girls shows up out of the blue saying she desperately needs her help. As the friend helps the other one through the situation, it brings back many memories and the girls are able to fix their relationship. Another easy read. 


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
This book was recommended to me by Paula. It is the story of a husband whose wife goes missing. It is told in current time by the husband and also in the past through the wife's journals. It has some serious twists and turns towards the end that I didn't see coming at all! I definitely recommend this book!


Tell me: what have you read recently? Anything good?

10 comments :

  1. I have been so bad about reading this summer. Must get on it. Hopefully on our trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Weiner is one of my favorite authors :)I read Lauren Conrad's series too and it was good light read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read Best Friends Forever! Pretty good :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always liked LC's books, easy, light reads.
    I just finished the Gossip Girl series and am about to start The Lucky One.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered about LC's books!! Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love LC's books too. So easy and mindless.

    I just finished reading Sarah's Key. Highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to read my books now because they've been sitting around so long and it's bugging me! I finally finished Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter which was actually really good.
    Now I'm trying to read the rest of the Walking Dead graphic novels before attacking some books that will take longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently read Cutting for Stones. It's super long and honestly it took 300 pages to get into it, but I ended up really really liking it. Now I am reading the Shoemaker's Daughter which I am really enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recommendations!!! I will have to add some of them to my ever growing reading list! I really want to read Gone Girl. I've heard such great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so adding these to my Wish List on my new Kobo!! I'm currently reading 50 Shades of Grey... I love reading in the summer but I don't seem to have time this summer! Wonder why... :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...