Tuesday, August 28, 2012

DIY {anywhere} art

I mentioned yesterday that Mr.D and his dad put up shelves in the bathroom for me. After the shelves went up, I realized that I needed some art for the other wall. There are many tutorials especially on Pinterest, so I took a few ideas and ran with it.

Materials

  • canvas ($2 at Dollarama)
  • paints ($2 at Dollarama plus a few others that I had before)
  • painting tool or cut in half card to your desired width (ie: an old credit card)
Instructions
  1. Once you have your paints picked out, put a bit of each paint in a row on your palette. I used a piece of cardboard thick enough so it wouldn't leak through.
  2. Take your cut in half card and start dipping the card into the different paints. There is no rhyme or reason, just keep dipping until you have a bunch of paint on the card.
  3. Once you have a bunch of paint on your card, start putting it onto your canvas. You can make each streak of paint whatever length you would like. I just kinda went with it to start off with it and kept going from there.
  4. Keep streaking your way across and down your canvas until you are done.
  5. Hang your art up and enjoy! ;)
Here is how mine turned out:

All my paints laid out
Working my way down the canvas

The supplies that I used
The finished product
 Overall, I am super happy with how it turned out. From start to finish, it didn't take more than thirty minutes. And the fact that it cost me $4 to make is pretty awesome too!

Tell me: have you done any cheap and easy DIY projects lately?



12 comments :

  1. I LOVE it! It's beautiful! Can't wait to see the whole bathroom! Nice work. I may have to try for fun. What size canvas did you get? Looks big! Aeesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool!!! great work leigh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! that looks awesome. I would have never thought about this diy but now I need to do it too! Have a happy Tuesday and be sure to enter to win sponsorship on my blog! . BTW I am your newest follower and cannot wait to read more of your posts and hope that maybe you can return the favor and follow The Preppy Student. I always comment for every comment left on my page and hope to start a friendly relationship with your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! You are too crafty! I need to start being more like you. I tried one project this summer that flopped and meant to re-try it and never did...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that looks super easy and super cute!!!
    Great job!! I have never looked for a canvas at the dollar store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. $2 for a canvas is pretty awesome. I don't know that I've seen canvases that cheap anywhere.

    Where you gonna hang that puppy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks awesome! I am impressed by how cheap the canvas was! I actually painted a Rothko knock-off when I first bought my condo. My friend helped me do it and it turned out pretty well. But the canvas was kind of expensive. It was still way cheaper than buying wall art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you lady making things happen!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO CUTE!! Love your blog, new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my lord I love it!! I am going to copy you and do it!! I have been craving new art but the store prices are just not to my liking. $4 is more like it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...