Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Easy as apple pie

Okay, maybe it's not quite apple pie, but it's close and super easy to make. A few weekends ago, my mother in law brought down some apples from the tree in her backyard. They sat in our fridge until this weekend because I had no ideas what to make with them. I had a few cook books in our cupboard, so I started flipping through them until something caught my eye. That recipe was Anne's apple squares. 


Ingredients

1/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/8 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped apples 

Topping:
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup white sugar

Steps

For bottom, melt the margarine; add sugars, egg and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in a well greased 8 inch pan. For the topping, sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

* I doubled the amount of apples
* I also doubled the recipe to make thicker bars


Enjoy right out of the oven with some vanilla ice cream!

Tell me: have you baked anything yummy lately?


10 comments :

  1. Those look awesome. Now tell us how you stay so thin eating those.

    Oh, and I really like your new header! Perfect for your blog title. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made pumpkin loaf on the weekend, and carrot muffins since my garden produced tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I made cinnamon raisin bread last week, apple sauce yesterday and today I think i'll make carrot muffins

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!! Justin would love these, he adores apple pie. I eat anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm looks delicious! J would love those. We made pies with our apples but this would have been fun to try.

    I've been making zucchini everything lately! Zucchini cake -yum, muffins- bad recipe- ick!, zucchini boats for dinner-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't baked at all lately but was just saying this morning I had an urge too! I find it relaxing.
    These look tummy too

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're going apple picking in October! Definitely going to need to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMmmmm those look amazing. I am going to make those when I come back from holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks amazing... must make it asap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Those sounds absolutely delicious! I have not baked in a LONG time. Like maybe a year I think? I have a bunch of bananas in the freezer so one of these weekends, I need to make some banana bread!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...