Friday, October 26, 2012

Happy birthday Leigh!




Happy Friday everyone! Mr.D is making his annual appearance on the blog today in honour of my birthday. You can find his previous posts here and here.

******************************************

The 25th year. A big deal in anyone's life. A time when most will reflect on what they have achieved, who they have become, and where they want to go with the rest of their life. I believe that this is a step that Leigh had taken before her 25th birthday. Before her 25th birthday Leigh was already married (to me, although everyday I try to figure out how I suckered her into that one), already owned a house (in 30 years....), and already had a dog. Tentative plans for kids had been discussed (not for a while, sorry moms), and ideas for a Europe trip were in the works. So what was there for Leigh to do that was somewhat life changing after 25 years on this Earth? The answer is one word..... crossfit!

It was about a year ago that Leigh told me she wanted to try crossfit. As a rugby player, I had "attempted" crossfit in the past and my first thought was "Yeah right, have fun". I was quite surprised when Leigh signed up for the intro class at Calgary Crossfit and actually came home from the classes happy. My experience with crossfit had me believe that a class was an hour in which you wish you had never been born, followed by an evening where moving from a fetal position was insurmountable. 


Needless to say, Leigh had found an activity that would keep her fit, not take up all of her free time (still allowing her to take Harley for a walk and bake me delicious chocolate chip cookies..... mmm, chocolate chip cookies....) and allowed her to be a part of a growing community of athletes that she can relate to.

Crossfit has quickly become an important part of Leigh's life. She enjoyed it so much (and was getting stronger than me) so I decided that I should sign up for the intro class and join her in her fitness adventure. I have enjoyed crossfit, but Leigh has truly embraced it. I go to crossfit. Leigh is a crossfitter. There is a difference, trust me.



The level of physical intensity of crossfit changes an individual, and I think it has changed Leigh. Not only is she physically tougher, but mentally tougher as well. 

Don't believe me that she is a crossfitter? Check how many crossfit posts she has had in the last year. Look at her Christmas list from last year, or her birthday list from this year. Do you know how hard and counter-intuitive it is for a husband to buy his wife EXERCISE apparel as a gift? I might as well put a pillow and blanket on the couch, because that's where most guys would end up. And judging by the way Leigh flips tires, if she said sleep on the couch, I sleep on the couch.


Are you going to mess with that? I'm not!

Fitness aside, the other positive aspect of Leigh getting into crossfit is the support she feels from the crossfit community. When she goes to crossfit, she will tell me more about the people in the class, or the coaches that are helping her, rather than the work out itself. She has met a lot of great athlete, and some inspiring ones as well.

It has been an interesting year, lots has happened, but for me, the year when Leigh was 25 will be the year of crossfit.

I love you Leigh, hope you don't mind me posting these pics.

Mr. D

P.S. I'm not so flattering at crossfit.



God that looks bad. 



























20 comments :

  1. Great post! And yes Leigh would kick my butt! Happy Birthday Leigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this!! Leigh, your husband is hialrious! Happy birthday (again). I have officialy been intrigued by this whole crossfit thing... I might have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Leigh is so dedicated to Crossfit!! Happy Birthday L!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was waiting for this post!!! Nice work Mr.D. Great post and oh so true!!! You are awesome Leigh and sure are a tough chick. Hope you have an awesome day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a fabulous day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol. I love this and was hoping Mr. D would do another post! So sweet! I can see why he would say this has been the year for crossfit. You would one tough, strong, determined, fit lady! Happy happy Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day and felt surrounded by love!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yahooooo!!!!! Hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cross fit, like cyclocross and masters swimming, scare the crap out of me. I won't even talk about some of those fitness videos with people doing things that make burps (barfees is more like it) look like childs play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahaha awesome! Happy Birthday again Leigh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable post! Happy belated birthday, Leigh! I hope it was a great one. It's fun to see you get so into crossfit. Happy 25!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post!! You are definitely a crossfitter, Leigh! It's been so cool reading along as it's so obviously changed your life :) Also that last line and photo KILLED me, Mr. D. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday friend! Sorry I'm late to the party with this comment, hope you had a wonderful weekend celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday friend! Sorry I'm late to the party with this comment, hope you had a wonderful weekend celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday friend! Sorry I'm late to the party with this comment, hope you had a wonderful weekend celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of the mothers!October 30, 2012 10:20 AM

    Whatttttttttttt! no plans for children - remember one for Gail and one for me..... you are the best husband Brian. Just knowing you makes me a better mother in law. Love you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...