Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Last Chance Half Marthon {race report}

As I mentioned yesterday, I ran the Last Chance Half Marathon on Sunday for the first time. This was my first time running it and it was fun to run a new race.

Before the race

On Saturday, I went to Gord's running store to pick up my race package. In the package, we got our race number, a shirt, a brochure and information about the race. Pretty standard stuff for a Canadian race. The race didn't start until 10am on Sunday and started out of Eau Claire. It was nice to have a later race start, so I was able to sleep in, take my time getting ready and make my way downtown. I got to Eau Claire about 25 minutes before the race started, so I used the bathroom and waited inside to stay warm until about five minutes before the start.

The race

The race started just outside of Eau Claire and headed towards Crowchild Trail. At Crowchild, we crossed the bridge and headed back towards downtown. Just passed downtown, we headed towards the zoo and then into the Inglewood area and even further south. We turned around at 15km and started to head back to the start.  Since we had a dumping of snow starting Thursday to Saturday, the pathways had been cleared but were still covered in snow. This made the run so, so much harder as it felt like I was slipping with every step that I took. The other thing I found hard mentally was that I had never run that far south on the pathways, so I had no idea where we were heading and where we were going to be turning around. That was my own fault though!

The first ten kilometers I felt really good, but then the half way mark hit and I started to go down hill fast. I had a cramp that started and didn't let up for the rest of the race. I really don't know what caused it as I didn't do anything differently and didn't over drink during the race. The cramp along with the snow really got to me mentally and I struggled in the second half. I took so many walking breaks and kept telling myself I couldn't do it. Luckily, I made it to the end, but well over the time I was hoping for. 

I finished in 2:02:38, 19 out of 50 in my age group and 184 out of 385 people.

  After the race

I didn't stay after the race as Mr.D didn't come with me. The race does provide a breakfast for all the runners, but I was ready to be home and into warm pj's! They did provide bottled water and granola bars at the finish line though.

Overall

It was a pretty good race in terms of organization, water stations and the volunteers, but not sure if I will run it again. Before signing up, I had read other race recaps and other years definitely had better weather when it comes to the snow. Granted, we do live in Alberta, so having snow on race day is a great possibility. Oh well, half marathon #6 is done and done!


15 comments :

  1. Woohoo! You are a trooper. I am such a bad friend I meant to msg you after the race to see how it went and forgot :( Good job! I am not sure I would have ran it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for running it! The weather would have made me think twice. We went for a short run yesterday and that little bit we did in the snow was hard - I can't imagine doing a half. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urgh, running in the snow is not fun! You were super brave for signing up for a November race in Alberta! Good for you for sticking it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work Leigh! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work!! The weather would have gotten to be for sure. Good for you!! And I bet PJs felt good afterwards!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the race! The weather can be a little hit or miss at this time of the year, but I was looking over some old race reports and one year it was 8C!! I found the snow on the north side of the pathways really difficult. I also wasn't sure when we'd be turning around as we ran through Inglewood so I was looking for friends running toward me to ask! I like the race as something to have to keep motivated to train, but if you get tough weather then it can totally throw a goal race out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a race not starting until 10 am?! amazing!!

    congrats on your time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go!!! You did awesome! I've got 1/2 #1 coming up Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're awesome to stick it out girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want snow. But I would not want to run a half in snow. Good job lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Running on slippery snow is hard and scary! Nice work though! I bet those stabilizing muscles in your legs, abs, ankles, everywhere got worked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow awesome time! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is still a great time, and running in snow is really really tough! Like Lauren said, think of all the stabilizing muscles that got worked!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...