Thursday, March 28, 2013

DIY herringbone art

The other weekend, I was looking around on Pinterest and found an idea that I knew I could easily do myself. I have also been wanting something to go over our bed as it's been empty since we bought the house and knew that this would work perfectly. So it was off to Michael's to gather my supplies and start this project {this was the tutorial that I found and based mine off of}

Materials:
  • canvas in your choice of size
  • paint
  • paint brushes
  • painters tape
  • spray paint
Steps:

1. Gather all of your supplies and get ready to start painting your canvas


2. I had no rhyme or reason to how I painted my canvas but knew that I wanted lines to run up and down the canvas with the different colours. Just keep painting until your canvas is covered



3. Once your canvas is painted and has had time to dry, start making the herringbone pattern with the painters tape. No particular method to this either besides trying to keep the space between the tape pieces the same.

 

How the canvas looks once I was done making the herringbone pattern with the tape

4. Once you have all of your taping done, you can spray paint your canvas. I used metallic spray paint and one coat was enough.
 
5. Once the spray paint has fully dried, start peeling off the taping. Best part of the whole process :)
 
 

I did this project over a couple of days, but it could easily be done in an afternoon. It was under $30 to make and I like how it turned out. Now to hang it up in our bedroom :)


Tell me: have you done any DIY projects lately? Or do you have any planned?

8 comments :

  1. It turned out awesome!!! Love it. Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I love the herringbone pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That turned out so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! I always love seeing your DIY projects! I have no DIY capabilities (trust me) but it's fun to see what others can create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!! Great job!! Have a great Easter Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...