Monday, September 9, 2013

On the book shelf

Happy Monday everyone! We had a quiet weekend as the weather was very rainy on Friday and Saturday. Our weekend included: going to Costco, baking cookies, going to the kids sale with Alison, cleaning the house and going for a long run. Oh and I had a fantastic nap on Saturday afternoon :)


Since I had so much time to read while we were on holidays, I went through quite a number of books. I thought I'd share a couple that I read as I love finding books that others have already read.

After losing her parents, fifteen-year-old Ivy Hart is left to care for her grandmother, older sister and nephew as tenants on a small tobacco farm.  As she struggles with her grandmother’s aging, her sister’s mental illness and her own epilepsy, she realizes they might need more than she can give.

When Jane Forrester takes a position as Grace County’s newest social worker, she doesn’t realize just how much her help is needed.  She quickly becomes emotionally invested in her clients' lives, causing tension with her boss and her new husband.  But as Jane is drawn in by the Hart women, she begins to discover the secrets of the small farm—secrets much darker than she would have guessed.  Soon, she must decide whether to take drastic action to help them, or risk losing the battle against everything she believes is wrong.

Set in rural Grace County, North Carolina in a time of state-mandated sterilizations and racial tension, Necessary Lies tells the story of these two young women, seemingly worlds apart, but both haunted by tragedy.  Jane and Ivy are thrown together and must ask themselves: how can you know what you believe is right, when everyone is telling you it’s wrong?


I picked this book up while we were in London and absolutely loved this book! I didn't know anything about the eugenics program before I read this book, and it opened my eyes to something I had no idea existed before. A must read.

Dear Anna,
What I have to tell you is difficult to write, but I know it will be far more difficult for you to hear, and I'm so sorry-
The unfinished letter is the only clue Tara and Emerson have to the reason behind their close friend Noelle's suicide. Everything they knew about Noelle - her calling as a midwife, her passion for causes, her love for her friends and family - described a woman who embraced life.
Yet there was so much they didn't know.
With the discovery of the letter and its heartbreaking secret, Noelle's friends begin to uncover the truth about this complex woman who touched each of their lives - and the life of a desperate stranger - with love and betrayal, compassion and deceit.



This was the first book that I read by Diane Chamberlain and really enjoyed after hearing others talk about it. It does deal with suicide, but it was still a great read.

It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.
This is my story.
A letter from nowhere.


Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back?

The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.


This was an interesting read about a girl who was stolen from an airport. I liked how it was written from her point of view and didn't see the ending coming.

 Kate's To-Do List: 

1. Go to rehab
2. Befriend/spy on "It Girl"
3. Write killer expose
4. Land dream job

Piece of cake!

When Kate Sandford lands an interview at her favorite music magazine, The Line, it's the chance of a lifetime. So Kate goes out to celebrate—and shows up still drunk to the interview the next morning. It's no surprise that she doesn't get the job, but her performance has convinced the editors that she'd be perfect for an undercover assignment for their gossip rag. All Kate has to do is follow "It Girl" Amber Sheppard into rehab. If she can get the inside scoop—and complete the thirty-day program—they'll reconsider her for the position at The Line. Kate takes the assignment, but when real friendships start to develop, she has to decide if what she has to gain is worth the price she'll have to pay.


I started reading this book randomly while we were in Positano and was unable to finish it before we left. I ended up finding it for cheap at Value Village, so I figured I'd finish reading it. An easy, but fun read.

Tell me: what books have you read lately? Anything good? 

6 comments :

  1. I totally failed at reading this summer, I normally plow through books! These sound great though and I am glad you had lots of time to relax and read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get back into reading, not that Incan say I was really into it, but I was at least trying! Lol! Sounds like a fun and relaxing weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to add those to Goodreads!

    I loved the Midwife's Confession so I'm sure Necessarily Lies will be great, although it does look a bit dark.

    Most recently I read The Storyteller which was excellent but very dark and tough to read. I would recommend it but sandwich it between some fluffy books!

    I'm currently reading "Call the Midwives" which is pretty good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read The Midwife's Confession and loved it. I read another book by her, the Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes, which I also really enjoyed. I'll have to check out that first book you mentioned!

    I have actually been on a huge reading kick as I have been in Charlotte the last 2 weekends and haven't had much going on. I read and loved Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman and And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. Looking for Me is lighter, the Hosseini book is more heavy but it's amazing. Maybe one of the best books I've read this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. finishing up "Let the Great World Spin" now and it's great! Highly recommended! It's about the tight rope walker in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything great lately ... I need to start another book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...