Saturday, October 26, 2013

Happy 25th (27th) Birthday!!

My wife must fancy me being a wordsmith because she keeps asking me to write her birthday posts. As a Science teacher I have never been considered one with an expressive vocabulary outside of using technical terms like "valence shell orbital hybridization" or "kinetic coefficient of friction", but allow me to wow you with my linguistic skills. (Can you tell that I am a huge nerd?)

This year was the year of the marathon and travel. Just a heads up for anyone who has a significant other who is planning on running a marathon, it so easy to be supportive.  My roll as the supportive husband involved me sitting at home and hanging out with Harley while Leigh ran disgusting distances with a friend. She thanked me for supporting her with her running. You're going to thank me for sitting on my fat ass? I can get behind that, no problems here :)  And race day? Let me tell you about race day.  I drove downtown close to the 10 km point, parked, cheered as Leigh ran by, and then popped into the Galaxy Diner for breakfast. If you've never been to Galaxy Diner, you've never really had breakfast. Its so damn good, I got to feast on delicious smoked meat hash while Leigh was completing her first half of the marathon. After I ate, I biked to the 20 km point, cheered as Leigh ran by, and rode to the next point. This continued until the end of the race, in which my job was to go get the car and take the girls (Leigh and a friend) to Wendy's. If that is my job as a supportive husband, I can't wait for Leigh to run another marathon!

Leigh also got to travel to Ireland in the spring with her mom, leaving me at home with Harley for a week and a half. Since Leigh moved out west from Ontario, that was the longest time we have been apart, and it was a good confirmation that I would not last very long without her in my life. I missed her every day she was away, but I was so excited that she finally got to have a taste of Europe. I'm sure she has spoken about Ireland in previous posts, but I doubt she said too much about what I did here while she was gone. I do a good deal of the cooking in this house, but I know now that if I am just cooking for me, the nutritional value of my meals decreases significantly. Chinese buffet sounded like a good idea a couple nights, probably a couple more times than was good for me, but what the hell, didn't have anyone around to tell me it was a bad idea. Harley and I got to spend some quality time together, but we both missed Leigh. We were both very happy when she came home.

Leigh and I were fortunate enough to spend three weeks together in Europe in August. The challenge of being apart for a week and a half rivals the challenge of being together every moment of every day for three weeks. I know I was nervous that Leigh and I would get sick and tired of each other after one week, never mind three weeks, but I knew that if we didn't kill each other then the trip with strengthen our relationship. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised that we didn't really fight at all on our trip. Oh, we had moments, as any couple would when spending so much time together, but those moments were short lived and quickly forgotten. Leigh asked me what my favorite part of the trip was, but I had a hard time choosing one. I enjoyed every day of our time together, and my favorite part was getting to experience everything with the love of my life. Europe is very interesting and exciting, but it would not have been the same without Leigh.
Yes, this is Leigh in a Europe sized car :) Anyone who will climb into a mini car like this to put a smile on my face is a keeper.

This photo is the one that pops into my mind when I think of the time we spent in Europe.
This is a photograph represents how my life feels living with Leigh. Every day is a beautiful sunset, and I will try to make every day for the rest of Leigh's life feels like a beautiful sunset as well.

Well, another birthday come and gone, next year Leigh's blog should look a little different, but I'll let her explain what that will entail. I'll leave this post with a photo of Leigh from her 21st birthday, the first one I got to celebrate with her, and it was one of the first times that I could picture myself being with her for a real long time.

 
She is still as lovely today as she was 6 years ago :)

14 comments :

  1. Aww I think this is my favourite birthday post so far. Well done Mr. D!!!

    Happy Birthday, Leigh! Have an awesome day celebrating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Pretty much the perfect picture to top off the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, this is so sweet! And you sell yourself short, Mr. D., when you say you are not a writer as you certainly have a way with words - or at least you do once a year. ;) Leigh is lucky to have you, and you are, of course, lucky to have her. Happy Birthday, Leigh!! I hope you are having a fabulous day!! (and I hope it's not snowing! If it is, it may make you feel any better to know that it was below 0C this morning in Charlotte which is extremely abnormal).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Leigh! What an awesome post and I LOVE that you're in Postman Pat's van!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post so much. Happy birthday Leigh! Also...I'm intrigued with the comment about the blog looking different next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! Hope you have a wonderful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Leigh!!!! I hope your wonderful hubby spoils you rotten :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! Sounds like you've really had an amazing year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet. Mr D, I feel like you left us hanging in that last paragraph! Big changes ahead?! Happy bday Leigh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday Leigh! Great post Mr. D! Pretty well spoken (written?) for a science teacher! I'm sure the next year will be as great as the last.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post as ah ways Mr. D. You guys are lucky to have each other. Think goodness for Mexico! Hope your birthday was great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Leigh aka my birthday buddy! Although you are a young one still, I turned 29 haha! And great job on the post Mr. D!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...