Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Scotiabank Calgary Marathon: training week seven


Another week of training down! If you are thinking about running any of the distances on June 1, 2014, be sure to sign up before before March 31, 2014 as the price increases then. You can register here. It's going to be a fun time, so don't miss out!

You can find my previous training recaps here:
Week one
Week two
Week three
Week four
Week five
Week six

Onto last weeks training:

March 10, 2014
  • 4.2km walk with Harley
  • at home workout from Peanut Butter Runner of the 1000 rep workout. I managed to complete 7 rounds. Thanks Amber for the recommendation.
March 11, 2014
  • 8.11km {5:25/km avg pace} run with Harley. We ran a bunch of different hills instead of running the same one over and over.
March 12, 2014
  • CrossFit workout of:
A. Work up to 3RM of deadlift in 10 minutes (170lbs x3)
B. 50 handstand push ups- worked on kipping them

March 13, 2014
  • Interval run 1on/1off x 10 + 30on/90off x 5
    • 5.64kms total
  • 4.2km walk with Harley
March 14, 2014
  • rest day as I didn't get home late
March 15, 2014 
  • 5.0km walk with Harley
March 16, 2014
  • 26.0km {6:02/km avg pace} long run. This was another tough run for some reason. The weather was warm, but so, so windy which I think had a lot to do with it. I'm also finding the high distance mentally tough to do alone. So if you know of any runners in Calgary that are training around 5:45-6min pace, let me know!
 Overall, not a bad week of training. Just need to get my head into a better space for my long runs and hopefully they start improving.

Tell me: how was your week of workouts/training?

8 comments :

  1. Oh no, I'm sorry your long runs aren't going very well! Are you bored or having a tough time pushing through distance mentally? Are you fatiguing? I do a lot of my training runs solo and I've learned I don't mind them. Maybe try a different running route (which can be challenging at this time of year), a new flavour of your nutrition of choice or a new playlist. Try breaking the run up into chunks mentally as that can help too.

    Having company on long runs is great, but running solo can be good for you too. If you are racing solo you'll have figured out the best tactics to pull you out of those potential mental lows thanks to your training.

    Best of luck and I hope your long runs improve for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried dropping into the Running Room and joining one of their long runs? I'm sure in a city as big as Calgary they would have some people running at your pace that you could go with. Then you'd have future running partners too! I couldn't even imagine doing runs of those lengths solo anymore!! It's hard for me to motivate myself to do 5 km solo these days I run with friends so often.

    Glad you liked the 1,000 rep workout! I am going to do it again this week but do AMRAP in 30 minutes instead of the usual 20 minute version I do. It's so hard but so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long runs alone are definitely way tougher for me. I lucked out and didn't have to do any of my long runs alone when I trained for the Des Moines marathon as I was in a club and it made a huge difference. I hope you can find some company for some of these runs as i bet it would make a big difference.

    My week of work out was good. I was traveling for part of the week so my workouts were a little different as I didn't run outside since I didn't know the area well enough, but I still got all my workouts in which I feel good about, and I had my first race which was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! My long run this week was hard for some reason

    ReplyDelete
  5. My week was okay. I will come to Calgary at some point to run with you! I've been quite busy lately! I've also been running my long runs quite so it's not too much of a shock to my system. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh, you should join us, our runs are almost always around 6:00/km. Next weekend we're just running 16k, on Saturday, let me know if you want the det's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your runs will totally improve..just keep attem. That is what I am telling myself, too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...