Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Scotiabank Calgary marathon: training week twelve


Another week of no running in the hopes that my knee would start feeling better. But, no luck at all :( I was going to recap what I did last week instead of running, but I apparently did a really crappy job of recording it. Aka I have nothing in daily mile from Monday to Saturday, which is definitely not like me. 

I have really been dreading writing these words because then they are true and I can't do anything to change it, but I won't be running the Scotiabank Calgary Marathon on June 1st :( I was really hoping that time off of running would help my knee, but it hasn't gotten any better at all. I tried running on Friday, but couldn't even make it half a mile without pain. Poor Mr.D had to witness a very emotional breakdown after the running attempt. Even thinking about it now makes me want to cry.  I wish I could say that my knee would heal in time for the race, but I highly doubt it will be.

I think the thing that I am struggling with the most about this is that I put so much time into training and was on track for a strong marathon. But, I guess this wasn't meant to be my race and life has other plans for me. I doubt that she feels this way, but I also feel like I disappointed Solana in a way. She was kind enough to put a training schedule together for me and answered any and all questions I had. I promise that once my knee heals, I will be back to take on the marathon and will be coming back to you for training help! :)

For now, the tears have dried up, but I have a feeling they will come back when I get my first and second DNS (did not start) this weekend and on June 1st. Fingers crossed my knee heals up and I can run a fall marathon.

Tell me: have you ever had to stop training and drop out of a race because of an injury?

18 comments :

  1. So sorry Leigh! But you are doing the right thing. I'm sure a fall marathon will happen, and hey I'm running Victoria if you are interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually just thinking of you last night and wondering how you were doing... I'm so sorry that your knee is still giving you problems. I am always up for walks if you want a walking buddy ;) And like Lindsey we are going to be in Victoria too! Dhugal is running the full there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so heart breaking. :( I am so sorry that you are not going to be able to run the marathon but I think you are making the wise choice in the long run as you might risk further injury if you tried to jump back into it.

    I had to back out of the Chicago marathon which was heart breaking for me, but it was different because I never had the chance to train for it... Those 10 months away from running were incredibly difficult for me and there were a lot of tears and moments of wondering if I would ever run again. So if you need someone to vent to while you are unable to run, you've got me! I hope this injury is short-lived and that you are back to running very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Leigh. :( this must be so frustrating and disappointing. ;( but there will be more races when that knee heals. Your body has other plans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HUGS Leigh!!! I can say that I have definitely been there, I DNF'ed the Calgary marathon 3 years ago, and there were many tears. The positive is that I came back stronger than ever after taking some time off. It's a wise move to call it quits and not hurt yourself more though, so give your self a pat on the back for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Leigh! I am so sorry this sucks. Does the doc say no no running at all? will you do a shorter distance? Get rehbbin the heck outta yourself and comeback all bionic!! Thinkin of you!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear this :( First and foremost is getting you back to HEALTHY...so I am glad you are listening to your body. But secondly, it stinks. I know you posted a while back that you were looking for other runners who might want to join you for long distances...so I can offer myself as a walking buddy?! If you start to get that crazy itch to do some fitness...I enjoy walking too. And once you get back to feeling good, we can do a few short runs together to help build up your muscle!!! Or let me know if you need to vent :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw Leigh, I'm so so sorry. I had no idea your injury was so bad. I think that you are being very smart about this and the best thing to do now would be to take some time completely off running until your knee heals. Better than continuing to halfheartedly run on an injury and never really heal properly.

    If you are feeling up to it we could tackle the 35km trail race together in the fall. I bet you would find trail running much easier on your body and that could be your big race for the year. Think about it as you heal. Big big hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this sucks!! I'm sorry! I know you put a lot of effort into your training and it must be so disappointing. You will take on the marathon again.

    Thankfully I've never DNS due to injury but I have DNS 2 triathlons- one bc I was really sick and the other I was pregnant and my training has been lacking so I didn't want to risk it. It's a big disappointment though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tried commenting once already but it randomly disappeared. Big hugs and hopefully you get tackle a marathon soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry Leigh! My thoughts are with you, hoping your knee heals soon and that you aren't too hard on yourself. Hug

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear this. You worked so hard. I hope your knee gets better. Chin up! There will always be another marathon. (I know that sounds cheesy but this is best for your knees. Keep them healthy!) Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like Bex, my comment got eaten. It's a bummer to have to drop out of a race. I've DNS a couple now, one a half iron. Not much consolation, but at least you didn't shell out airfare to travel somewhere for this one. There is no point doing a race when you stand a real chance of doing a permanent injury to yourself. That's just dumb. You've got lots of time for many races. See the appropriate medical people, do the rehab, and you'll be back better than ever. Come join me in the pool for a water run!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating it is to put the effort in and not be able to do it. There will be lots more races, and I am proud of you for making this decision, and not just running through the pain. A lot more damage could have been done to your knee. Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I'm so sorry :(
    Dropping out of any race is never fun - I really hope your knee heals up soon for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no! That's a bummer. But for the best. There are lots of marathons out there, and your health is more important if you want to run strong in the future. I recently had to drop down from the full to half for Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry girl!! There will def be another race in your future!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...