Wednesday, January 28, 2015

{baby d}: the birth story

I apologize in advance as I have a feeling this may end up being a long post as I don't want to miss any details!

My birth story started on Thursday January 15, 2015 when I had my 39 week check up at the maternity clinic and I chose to have the membrane sweep done. I had heard that it didn't work the first time for many women, but I figured I would give it a shot. Later that day, I had a couple cramps and some spotting, but nothing major. Later that night, I woke up around 1am to let Harley out and noticed that I was having some cramps/contractions. They continued throughout the night, but I was able to sleep. I woke up that morning and mentioned to Mr.D that I was having some cramps/contractions, but he headed to work and to let him know if anything changed. I started timing my contractions around 9am, but there was no rhyme or reason to them (they were going from 5 minutes to 3 minutes to 1 minute back up to 6 minutes and lasting between 30 seconds to almost a minute). 

Just a small sampling of the contractions


Some of the contractions were super painful and I ended up in tears through them. I contemplated calling Mr.D at school around lunch time, but I knew he was in supervision (it is exam time at school right now) until 2pm and figured I could make it until he got home. He ended up getting home around 2:30pm and saw how much pain I was in and tried to convince me to go to the hospital then. For some reason, I was in major denial that I was in labour and was scared they were going to say I was only 2cms dilated at the hospital.

We finally headed to the hospital around 3:30pm and were lucky enough to hit traffic on the way there! Not fun when the only way to work through my contractions was to bend over something. At the hospital, we were checked into triage and was checked out very quickly. The nurse let me know that I was already 4-5cms dilated and the tears quickly started flowing! I was just so relieved that I wasn't going to be sent home. The nurse sent Mr.D to get me admitted to the hospital and I stood up to work through a contraction. As soon as I stood up, my water broke all over the floor! I was like oh no, what the heck am I going to do! Luckily, a nurse walked by and was able to help me get cleaned up. Shortly after that, we were moved into a labour and delivery room. The unit was pretty busy that night, but I was luckily able to get an epidural pretty quickly, which made the world of difference. The epidural itself wasn't too bad... a bit of a pinch. Mr.D was able to stay in the room as well, which was awesome as I thought he was going to have to leave.

Relaxing in bed and texting friends to let them know I was in labour
 The doctor didn't come into our room until 8:30pm and I hadn't made any progress, so she said she would be back in a couple of hours. We spent the time trying to relax and get some sleep. Around 11:30pm, the doctor came back into to check me again and I still hadn't made any progress, so we decided to start oxytocin. We tried to get some more sleep, but our room was right across from the nurses station, so it was quite loud. The doctor came back in around 1am and I had luckily progressed to 7cms. We were left again to make some more progress and get more sleep. Around 3:30am, we were given the great news that I was finally 10cms dilated and it was time to start pushing! I started to push around 3:45am. We had the best nurse that night, who was so supportive as I was pushing and I couldn't have done it without her! Mr.D was also fantastic during this time as he would count to ten and get me cold wash clothes.

My contractions were all over the place and because of the epidural, I couldn't always tell when I was having one so the nurse had to tell me when to push. It was such a strange feeling! After three hours, Amelia still wasn't coming out, so we decided to have the OBGYN come in and see what options we had. After a contraction, he said that she would definitely come with the help of a vacuum so we gave the go ahead. As soon as we said yes, it seemed like the room filled up with some many people! The vacuum was quickly put on Amelia's head and about 5-7 contractions later, she was born! I was so tired that I had my eyes closed for the whole thing, but Mr.D said it was a little horrific watching her be born with the vacuum if I am being honest. But, as soon as she came out, it was such a relief! The doctor put her on my stomach before they whisked her away to be cleaned up. 



Amelia was born on January 17, 2015 at 6:59am weighing 7lbs 4ounces and was 21.25 inches long. Once she was cleaned up and checked out by the doctor, Mr.D took her and did skin to skin as I was being stitched up (I ended up with a first degree tear). Poor girl had a bit of a cone head from the vacuum, but it went down by the next day. My mom and Mr.D's mom ended up showing up at the hospital that morning not knowing I was about to give birth and were able to see Amelia shortly after she was born. Shortly after birth, we were moved to the post partum unit. 


 

I just want to send a little note to Mr.D to say thank you for being so, so, so supportive throughout my whole labour and delivery. It was quite the experience and I know that I couldn't have done it without him. I also know that nothing will beat the kiss we shared after Amelia was born and that our relationship has only gotten stronger since she was born.

21 comments :

  1. You rock. Good job mama! So glad she arrived so healthy and you didn't get sent home!! :) I would have cried too. LOVED reading this even though I've already heard it. I love birth stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I can't believe you had to push for three hours! I pushed for two hours with Preslie and thought I was going to pass out. You're a rock star! In the end it was all worth it because Amelia is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your post just prompted a ton of frantic text messages to Tyler..haha I'm so nervous! She's beautiful in those photos, so happy for you :) PS: lucky your water broker in the hospital- I've been panicking about that and have been carrying an extra pair of pants with me---ALREADY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you all :) sounds like you rocked your labor and delivery!! What a relief it must have been to be told you were 4-5cm when you got to the hospital :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are awesome!! Loved reading this post. And 3 hours?! Amazing! I pushed for 2 and it was tough! So proud of you and happy Amelia made her entrance happy and healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And.. now I'm crying. I love birth stories and yours is so well written. I'm so glad everything turned out so well and you are both heatlhy and obviously very happy. You are a rockstar mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing story! You're lucky your water broke at the hospital. I think my biggest fear is having mine break at home or in public. And 3 hours of pushing is intense, but yay for an epidural! I was SO done after 2 hours, but I didn't have the magic juice.
    Amelia is such a little doll, seriously. I can't get over how cute she is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! 3 hours of pushing - you are one strong mama and it sounds like you had a great birth experience overall. So glad you had a great and supportive nurse and so great that Mr. D was so amazing, though I'm not surprised by that at all :)

    Hope your tear is healing up and you're feeling better!! Love all the pictures of beautiful little Amelia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful story! I am so happy she is here and you are both healthy. She is one cute little girl, and she has an amazing Mom!! :) Glad Mr. D was so great during labor and delivery. Lucky little girl to have such great parents!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved reading this! Cheers to such a positive and healthy delivery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been anxiously awaiting the story as I was curious about Miss Amelia's arrival into the world! You are tough to have pushed for 3 hours - my SIL had to push for that long with her first, too. OUCH. Good thing you were rewarded with a beautiful baby. :) And hearing about how you and Mr. D are even more in love is just so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww tears!! What a great birth story!! Amelia is just perfect!! Your water breaking like that is just hilarious! I love the special moment right after the baby is born. I'll never forget that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwww! Thanks for sharing:) You did an awesome job, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love hearing birth stories! I remember mine so vividly and I had the same thing happen with the contractions and epidural - such a strange feeling when one minute you'd know that one was coming and the next you had no idea and felt nothing! Glad Amelia is here safe and sound and that you are all doing well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved reading this! Crazy how similar parts of our story are :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats! Amelia is just the cutest. Also, you win for the first birth story that I've read that hasn't made me never want to have children. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats again! I love that Mr. D has been there and is supportive and loving! It's such a great thing to have an equal partner in all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, I don't know how I missed this post! It seems like a smart idea to labor at home as much as you can so you don't have to spend too much time confined to the hospital bed. Nice work and congrats on her arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, what a great birth story! So glad everything went well! I never got to experience my water breaking, but your story sounds like it was right out of a movie ;) Does it surprise you I still haven't written my birth story?! Haha! Well it's "written", I've just never shared it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...