Thursday, February 19, 2015

Body & mind after baby: one month update

I know that these posts aren't for everyone, but I found them interesting and helpful before I had Amelia. Caitlin from Healthy Tipping Point did a series and so did Lindsey from A Running Tale if you are wanting to read other posts. I don't think I will do them every month, but more likely every couple of months.

Body update:

Through the course of my pregnancy, I ended up gaining 35lbs. Pretty sure most of it went to my boobs and belly ;) I ran up until about 27 weeks which is when it hurt my pelvis too much and wasn't worth it anymore. Other than that, I walked almost every day with Harley and then did home strength/HIIT workouts now and then. I definitely was way more laid back about working out while pregnant then before I was pregnant.

As of today, I am about 4.5 weeks postpartum and amazed at how my body has already changed.



I am waiting until my 6 week check up to start fully working out again even though I feel like I could start right now. I still have about 10lbs to lose, but not in a big rush about it as I am breast feeding and don't want to mess with my supply.  My belly is definitely way looser now, but I know that will change with time and working out again. 

26 days postpartum
One month postpartum

I think the biggest challenge that I've had with my post partum body is that there are so many things that happen to it that no one talks about! From having very engorged boobs to the night sweats to the bleeding, it's a big adjustment. Add on top of that trying to find shirts that fit my chest and allow me to breast feed, it's a big challenge!

Mind update:

To be honest, I was a little nervous about having a baby as I struggle with big change. I am quite surprised because I have adjusted fairly well and am loving my new mommy role!  I won't lie, but there were a couple times of tears and frustration, but for the most part I am feeling really well. Having my mom here for the first two weeks definitely helped as I was able to nap and rest often, which are huge! 

The one hard thing for me is that I am someone who wants to make everyone happy and make sure no one has their feelings hurt, and it's hard when you need to focus on yourself and your new baby. It's a work in progress, but I'm learning to put myself first.


19 comments :

  1. First of all you look awesome! I found the actual scale # not to be accurate since you are right the skin is different and loose. Once cleared I did lots of core exercises to help get everything toned up.
    The boobs were the worst in my opinion! Lol.
    I'm happy you adjusted so well, I think it's all about having a good attitude :-) You are a great Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all you look awesome! I found the actual scale # not to be accurate since you are right the skin is different and loose. Once cleared I did lots of core exercises to help get everything toned up.
    The boobs were the worst in my opinion! Lol.
    I'm happy you adjusted so well, I think it's all about having a good attitude :-) You are a great Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great! I think that's a great outlook to just focus on being a mom right now, you have lots of time to get your body back!

    So this is kind of TMI and random but I can totally relate on the night sweats part. I have been dealing with MAJOR temperature control at night since going off my birth control and it's the absolute worst. I finally slept really good last night and didn't wake up too hot or sweaty once. Thank god! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look awesome! My baby weight really didn't start disappearing until quite some time after giving birth, but within a year I was back to my pre-baby self and then some. (Bonus pounds, woo!)

    I think more important than body is your mind, and it's good to hear that you've adjusted well to your new role! Parenting certainly is a big life adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look absolutely amazing!! It took me 9 months to lose the baby weight but I ended up gaining 60 pounds :P

    I really enjoy these updates. I wish I would have done them as it would be nice to look back and look at the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you look amazing 1 month post. I really appreciate seeing these posts. For whenever I decide to have kids its good to get an idea of what the transition would look like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look fantastic!!!
    I never had the engorgment or boob issues, but my supply was shitty apparently haha! I still use my fan at night and I'm not breastfeeding anymore! I thought it would stop with the sweating, but now I just never know when it will pop up! Hormones!! Lol! Yes the skin will bounce back over time! You will find your weight will fluctuate over the next few months as the baby demands more and less milk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leigh, I echo what everyone else is saying regarding how you look. Motherhood suits you :) I am also glad to hear that you feel good about the changes and that you are adjusting emotionally! Looking forward to meeting Amelia this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look amazing! The Mommy role looks good on you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you look amazing Leigh! I actually would not know you had had a baby when I look at your one month postpartum picture! I am sure you feel less toned but you'll get back there with time! I am glad that the transition to being a mom has been a good one for you. I feel so bad for women who struggle with postpartum depression so I am glad that's not something you have struggled with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look fantastic! Glad to hear you're mentally adjusting well too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look fantastic! I never suffered from night sweats, but I know all about needing bigger shirts for those breastfeeding boobs! ;) I'm still dealing with it and it's been a whole year! It's great you were so active during your pregnancy - that definitely helps the bouncing back part.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great! I am sure you can't wait to get back to working out, but it will be there when you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking good mama! Looks like you're one of the lucky ones that springs back quickly. Having only 10 lbs to lose is nothing. I'm sure breast feeding will do that naturally. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, you look awesome!! Is your appetite crazy/weird with breastfeeding??

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look incredible! Looks like you and Amelia were both very good to each other. :)

    Those night sweats suck don't they?! I found it helpful to sleep on one of those giant playpen-sized waterproof cotton pads at night. That way I could just wake up and toss it in the hamper, put a new one down, and my sheets would be spared. Now I've graduated to only a small pad for the ocassional breast leaks. Another thing that shocked me: getting my period at 7 weeks postpartum while exclusively breastfeeding, not even touching a pump. What?! I was like come on give me a break, but my doctor said it happens.

    I was lucky with my weight gain/loss, but I attribute that to having a higher than desired pre-pregnancy weight. My BMI was right at the borderline between healthy and overweight as I was carrying around 10ish lbs of undesired weight when I got pregnant. I ended up gaining 27 lbs and lost it by 3 weeks postpartum. Great, but what about those 10 extra lbs. ;) I'm working on it: 4 months postpartum and I'm 4 lbs under prepreg weight (i.e. 6 lbs to my goal). The only workouts I'm doing are being a supermom 24/7 (& breastfeeding!), yoga once a week, and 45+ minute walks on the treadmill (anywhere from 1-4x a week). I'm dying for the warm weather to get here because I love going on walks. Everything counts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. mom - now grandmaFebruary 21, 2015 5:56 PM

    Leigh is was my joy to help you guys out for those two weeks - but you are a born mother - you are so full of love for Amelia that it makes me swell up with pride for you. Mr D and you make an amazing duo in parenting - as natural as running. The best gift of my life is being part of this time.... you look amazing - but moreso you are amazing..... Being a mom isn't easy all the time - but love leads to answers. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, Leigh, it sounds and looks like you are doing great! I can only imagine how hard those first few months are. And I'm sure that you being in such good shape before hand has really helped your body recover. It's so nice you had your mom there for those first few wks

    ReplyDelete
  19. You do look amazing!!! But you have a great outlook, being Amelia's Mom is most important right now. You have lots of time to get your body back, these moments of them being little go by far too fast! Enjoy them. And you will be back to yourself in no time! Night sweats are the worst!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...