Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Body & mind after baby: three month update

You can find my one month update here

Body update

As you know from my weekly posts about my workouts, I am back working out. I promised myself that I would wait until my 6 week check up to get the okay from my doctor before I started working out again, which I did. I did go on lots of walks with Harley and Amelia during the first 6 weeks though. Starting to workout again after having a baby is definitely humbling! Between being out of shape, the extra weight, being tired and increased cup size, it's been challenging. There are days where I can only get out for a walk and that's okay. 

4 days/17 days/87 days postpartum
In terms of my weight, I've lost a couple pounds but still hanging onto about 5-8lbs (depending on the day) of baby weight. I know that I shouldn't give myself a hard time about it, but it'd be nice to have it gone. At the same time, I haven't been watching what I've been eating (holy intense cravings for carbs while breast feeding and working out!), which I know is a big part of it. I'm also trying not to push myself too much as I don't want to screw up my supply as Amelia sometimes won't take a bottle.  The linea nigra is still faint on my belly, but hopefully that goes away with time. 

Mind update

Can I be honest for a second? Holy shit, motherhood is HARD some days! I knew that having a baby was going to be a big adjustment, but it doesn't hit you how big of an adjustment it is until your baby only wants you 24/7. I think breast feeding plays a big part in that, but it's definitely frustrating some days. Don't get me wrong, I love Amelia with all my heart and love being a mom, but it's hard having this little human who wants to be attached to you all the time and doesn't want anyone else. I know that it won't be long until she wants nothing to do with me and only wants Mr.D, so I'm trying to remember that on the hard days. 

I think the word to describe motherhood the last couple of weeks is hard. But it's also so rewarding and incredible. When Amelia looks up at me with her big blue eyes and smiles at me, all of those hard moments are erased. It's also amazing to watch her grow and discover new things like that her hands can go in her mouth or that she can smack her tongue. Even crazier to me is that she is growing solely off the milk that I provide to her and nothing else!

Staying in contact and getting together with the other moms from our prenatal class has been so good too. As our babies are all so close in age, we can discuss what is happening with our babies and how each person is handling it. It's nice to know that you aren't the only one going through it!

I'll probably do my next update at six months.


13 comments :

  1. First of alll, you look awesome! Weight wise, it may just drop off one day or you'll hold onto it till you finish breastfeeding. But it's just a number! I can't remember when I got to my pre pregnancy weight and because I gained to get pregnant that wasn't my usual weight. But I dropped 5lbs when I finished breastfeeding.
    It is hard some days!! I would count down the minutes some days till Chad was home and I could have a break. Getting out lots saved my sanity, and scheduled naps once we got into a routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of alll, you look awesome! Weight wise, it may just drop off one day or you'll hold onto it till you finish breastfeeding. But it's just a number! I can't remember when I got to my pre pregnancy weight and because I gained to get pregnant that wasn't my usual weight. But I dropped 5lbs when I finished breastfeeding.
    It is hard some days!! I would count down the minutes some days till Chad was home and I could have a break. Getting out lots saved my sanity, and scheduled naps once we got into a routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing and you look amazing! I've been told by many people that those last stubborn 5-10 pounds won't come off until you are done breastfeeding. Which is what I'm choosing to believe as I definitely have 10 pounds to lose, but I'm still nursing, haha! ;)

    And yes, it is super hard being a mom, and learning to be a mom, and learning to have someone dependent on you 24 hours a day. I remember thinking we'd never get to the point where Jim could console Sully or put him to bed without me, etc. But we did, although, he still often wants his mommy if he knows I'm around (and I'm positive this is only because I'm still nursing him). That hour leading up to Jim coming home from work is always the longest hour of my day lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! SO motivating! I was smaller when Rylie was born since the 35lbs I gained was all water. Pimping and breastfeeding helped but the second I was done pumping, I gained a bunch of weight back :( Any tips or advice??

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are looking great. I can only imagine how hard motherhood is! Truly I don't think anyone can fully understand it until you've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look amazing! I wouldn't worry about the extra pounds at all, like Lindsey said, it could just drop off anytime or once your done breastfeeding. I wish I'd been so lucky in the baby weightloss department but genetics are not on my side and I knew that was a possibility.

    Motherhood is hard. Honestly, after the newborn stage when they become more independent, it's still hard. But it's still just as rewarding. You're doing a great job. Keep making time for yourself and enjoying every little moment. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great, Leigh! I am sure those other pounds will come off with time, but I know it's frustrating to carry around extra weight.

    I think that no one will ever judge you for saying that being a mom is hard (or if there are people who judge, they are not the kind of people I want to know). I think it would be overwhelming/exhausting to have another person completely dependent on you. It's totally worth it, of course, but it's still hard! I think it's better to be honest about how hard it is versus painting this rosy picture because I think other women who are mothers that read this will feel less alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um you look amazing! I feel like nursing keeps a few pounds around to protect your body since so much of your day to day energy goes to making enough milk to keep a HUMAN alive.
    Yes Motherhood can be HARD. Alone time is important but sometimes hard to get. I hear you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing awesome and look great!! I never weighed myself after Delainey was born, just once at like 4 days PP. Our bodies change so many during pregnancy and it's just a number. I cared about how my clothes fit and how I felt way more. You are only 3 months out too, give yourself time!
    Being a Mom is a neverending hard job - but the best job. It gets easier I promise. I find if I leave the house it's better to get a break cause then I can't hear her and she calmed down once I was gone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are looking so great! I can only imagine how hard and life changing it is, especially when she is so dependent and needy for just you! That would be really tough. Just because it's all worth it doesn't make it easy! Glad you have a good group of momma's around you to talk to as you all go through this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look great!! I held on to that last 5 lbs until 6 months PP. The cravings I found were way more intense while breastfeeding than when I was pregnant!

    Hugs! Motherhood is tough! It's hard having someone so dependent on you. Once she starts eating solids it will be easier to get some "me time." Then we can have a girls night! Where we will probably just talk about our kids the whole time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I'm with you with the "motherhood is hard" statement right now. It's so hard to not feel jealous that my husband can just go and play video games after work, or that he can take a full day to go spend with his friends. I really love spending time with Quinn, she's awesome, but she's also colicky, and cries... A lot. And that's not awesome when all that seems to soothe her in the short term is breast feeding but works against us in the long term when she way over eats and gives herself a tummy ache. Nowadays my "me time" is having a shower when my husband gets home from work and reading 2-3 pages of my book a night in between soothing a crying child. I know it won't last forever, but it's still not the funnest time nor is it what I thought it was going to look like.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you look great! Remember, no one notices those 5-8 lbs but you. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...