Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Summer reads

Before having Amelia, I was an avid reader and could easily finish a book within two days if I was super into it! Since having her, I find that I'm pretty tired by the end of the day and would rather scroll through social media (bad habit, I know!) and then go to sleep. After hearing a couple friends talk about the good books they have been reading, I decided that I really needed to dust off and charge my kobo so I could get back into it. I've read a couple books in the past two weeks, so I thought I would share them with you.


Left neglected by Lisa Genova

Mr.D's mom passed this one onto me as we had both read Still Alice and loved it. This book is about a career drive mom who is in a car accident that leaves her with a traumatic brain injury. It forces her to slow her life down, reconnect with her mom and realize that money and success aren't the only thing that matter in life. 

I would rate it 3.5 out of 5

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

I've heard several people talk about this book, so decided to check it out for myself. It is set in Paris during the second world war and focuses on two sisters. It also focuses on the woman's war and what many women had to go through while their husbands/brothers/fathers were off to the front lines. I found this book super interesting and loved it! 

I would rate it 4 out of 5

Come away with me by Karma Brown

My mom got this book from a book sale at work and passed it onto me. I wasn't super sure what it was about going into it, but ended up really enjoying it and not seeing the ending coming. It is about a young woman who is married with a baby on the way when tragedy strikes in the form of a car accident. Grief and depression overtake her, when she decides to take a six week trip. The trip is hopefully help heal her and move on with her life. 

I would rate it 3.5 out of 5

Tell me: what have you read lately? Anything I need to add to my kobo?

15 comments :

  1. I'm going to have to add these to my list. They all sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to check these out. My biggest recommendation right now is Girl On The Train. Such a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read The Nightingale and LOVED it! I should check out Left Neglected, it sounds interesting. I still haven't read Still Alice! I just finished reading Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood. It's a collection of short stories I read for the Read Harder book challenge and next I have to read Behind the Beautiful Forevers which is my next book club book!

    I am bad for scrolling through social media at night too but I find I sleep so much better if I read for 20 minutes before bed instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kristin Hannah's books but I've only read a few. I must say I have not been in the mood for anything even remotely serious lately though. Having a baby made me more sensitive lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first one and the last one I may pick up to have a read. I am currently reading a Jennifer Weiner book, cant tell you the name off hand. I only read a chapter a night in the bath LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't done much reading lately either, mostly because I haven't found a book that I really want to read and because KIDS. I did just download Jennifer Weiner's new one onto my Kobo, so I'll probably start reading that shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't done much reading lately either, mostly because I haven't found a book that I really want to read and because KIDS. I did just download Jennifer Weiner's new one onto my Kobo, so I'll probably start reading that shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't done much reading lately either, mostly because I haven't found a book that I really want to read and because KIDS. I did just download Jennifer Weiner's new one onto my Kobo, so I'll probably start reading that shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Left neglected sounds like something I would like! Book club has forced me to read more, and while I curse it sometimes I really like that I am reading a book a month now. Girl on the train is by far the best book we have read so far! I also am planning a mini book review post coming up! If I can remember all the books lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Left Neglected - the whole concept was fascinating to me. Only 3.5 stars?! ;)

    I'm reading "More Than Happy: The Wisdom of Amish Parenting" right now and it's pretty interesting! And The Martian - which has been made into a movie coming out this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the recommendations! I read Still Alice and like it too, so I would enjoy reading Left Neglected as well... Also a fan of Kristin Hannah, so that one is a must for my wish list! I've had a great run of reading this summer... planning to post on it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! I just finished reading The Nightingale! I really really enjoyed it even though it was a tough, emotional read, especially now as a mom imagining what mothers and children went though during that time. It was such an awful time in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh! I'm going to add these to my list! I've read a few books by Lianne Moriarty and have really enjoyed them. I also just read "All the Light we Cannot See" and it was kind of a hard read (switches between characters and timeframes a lot) but still really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only read the 2nd one - which I loved! Right now I am reading "The Kind Worth Killing" which is a thriller and it's sooo good but soooo messed up! I started it on Sunday and am 68% done with it already!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice work on the reading!! I am SO tired by the time D is in bed that reading is never happening. oh well, one day I will have the energy and time again! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...