Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Me time

Last week in my post, I mentioned having my free night and promised I'd talk more about it. A few weeks ago, Mr.D decided that one night a week no matter what is going on in our life or how Amelia is, I had to leave the house after dinner and don't come back until Amelia is in bed.  He had two reasons for this:

1) she has been very attached to me lately and we want her to know that other people besides mom can soothe her and put her to bed

2) so that I can have a couple hours to myself to do whatever I wanted to recharge my mom batteries

I will admit that I was very reluctant at first as I didn't want to leave and then Amelia completely lose it at bedtime because I wasn't there and Mr.D have to deal with it. Luckily, she has been good since we started doing this and went down without a peep last week. That definitely makes me feel so much better!



I have to say that this has been fabulous for me! I've gone to get groceries alone and went shopping for clothes...it's crazy how much more you can get done and quicker without a kid with you ;) I also love knowing that Amelia and Mr.D are bonding and spending time together.  I am so lucky to have such a supportive husband who realizes that I need my alone time (I love being with Amelia, but I also need alone time to recharge). So thank you Mr.D for being a fabulous husband and father!

16 comments :

  1. That is awesome and I think "me" time is SO important!! I started Piano lessons once a week last year. I go after supper and get back after Sam is in bed. It is a little hectic sometimes getting out the door but I love that time to myself and feel like a better mom for it. Good for you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Way to go Brian for realizing and encouraging that. And I'm glad you got out. It is much needed for you and her to have your own time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea. I would LOVE to incorporate this into our schedule!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me time is SO important and I'm glad you guys are doing this. But I do know how stressful the first few times you go out alone can be, when you're really hoping your baby won't completely lose it for dad! Our husbands get a lot of "me" time, and it's healthy for moms to get some too. And I agree - it's amazing how much I can get down in an hour or two out now when I go without Sully lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daddy & baby time is so important, just as "you" time is as well! It's awesome that Mr. D initiated this for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I agree having time away is so important, so is Daddy and Baby time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome. What a great man Mr D is. Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well deserved time to recharge your "mom batteries" - love that term haha
    And sooooo good for A and B to have that time together. She will be a daddy's girl in no time

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just started going to a yoga class one evening a week. I'm gone from 5-7 pm so my husband does bedtime with our daughter. It's so nice for me to get the "me time" and also for them to have some special time together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great idea. And I don't think you should ever feel like you have to justify the fact that you need "me" time... I think it's only natural and healthy to need some time to do things without a baby/child in tow! I am glad that you've got a super supportive partner that suggested this. After all, he gets his "me" time, too, when he bikes with Justin on the weekends, so it's only fair for you to get some time as well! I'm glad he pushed you to do this, though, as I imagine mom guilt would make it hard for you to ask for me time...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great husband! That is such a good idea. So sweet of him!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so great! It sounds like Mr. D was spot on with his instinct that this would be a good move for your family. My two good friends who had babies over the last year have both been pretty great about their "me" time. My coworker actually said she would go to yoga specifically to give her husband and their little guy some time alone without her peering over his shoulder and at yoga he couldn't even get a hold of her for the 60 minutes or so the class was on! It's definitely refreshing to see mom's who are still prioritizing their health and me time after having babies! Hope you continue to enjoy your free nights!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm telling Tyler about this and we'll see if it'll happen in our house, too! I need some me timd!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I try to leave the house at least once a week - whether Grandma is babysitting so I can get groceries or girls night. We all need a break!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a great husband!!! Me time is so important! Lethbridge is only 2 hours away if you ever need something to do ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...