Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Run for L'Arche: introductions and training plan




In 2013, I had the opportunity to blog about my training for the Run for L'Arche half marathon. I enjoyed working with the organization and blogging about my training. I was in contact with the Run for L'Arche team and jumped at the chance to do so again this year! You can find my previous race recaps here, here and here

Before I get into my training plan and an introduction into myself, I wanted to talk about L'Arche Calgary:
  • L'Arche Calgary is committed to creating a community of belonging that provides an atmosphere in which people with disabilities are respected, their ability to contribute is valued, and their voice is heard.
  • L'Arche Calgary was founded in 1973 and includes five homes, a Day program, a Supported Independent Living Program and a Spiritual Center.
  • L'Arche Calgary's mission is to create homes and faith communities where people with developmental disabilities and those who share life with them find a place of belonging and reveal their gifts.
  • if you would like more information, you can visit their website here 
  • race day is March 19, 2016 and includes a half marathon, 5 mile and 1K fun run. You can register here
Okay, a little about myself:




  • I started running in 2010 as a way to lose weight before our wedding. Once our wedding was over, I kept running as I enjoyed it 
  • I've ran multiple races- everything from a 5K to half marathon to full marathon
  • I have never trained with a group, usually run alone or with my dog Harley
  • I have a one year old daughter and am returning to work full time at the end of January
  • I love working out and running

Before I start recapping my weekly training, I wanted to share with you my training plan. I created this myself using Hal Higdon's 8km intermediate plan as a guide. His plans have you running 5 days a week, but I know from previous experience that 3 days per week is better for me. I'm going to use this plan as a guide - returning to work and having a busy one year old may mean that I have to change my runs and that's okay.



I'd love to hear from people that are training and running this race! Let me know which race you are training for and how your training is going so far. 

7 comments :

  1. That looks like a doable plan. 2-3 days a week is my max for running for sure. I just can't fit it in otherwise. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've ran this race the past two years. I'm considering it again this year except I'm being a bit of a baby about winter running this year! I might wait to sign up last minute based on the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will have to plan a run together! :) For real this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love the feeling of having a race to train for as it's so motivating. I only run 3 days a week usually, too. I will sometimes throw in a 4th day as I tend to do a shorter run with Phil during the warmer months in addition to 3 runs with my club. I'm working on building my mileage back up after taking a bit of a break from long distance running as I start to train for my marathon on 2/15 which is just around the corner! Eeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can offer no advice or insight into my own (lack of) training, but just wanted to say, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to kick this run in the butt, no problem! ;) And I definitely think committing to 3 days of a running a week is way more doable than 4-5. Especially if you want to continue with strength training! Or spend time with your family! ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so awesome that you are being sponsored to run the race again this year! Good luck with your training! I haven't done a road half-marathon since last February and I don't have any races on the horizon for 2016 yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard this race is so fun!!! I would love to join you if my injury smartens up ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...