Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Returning to work: an update

I've been back to work for over two months now {where has time gone?!}, so I thought I would do an update on my return to work. I was pretty nervous going back to work as I don't handle change well and things were going to be changing. I had no idea how things would work out in terms of getting my brain back into work function and with Amelia being in the day home. 

Amelia has done super well in the day home. When she first started going, she would cry and then that turned into frowning and now she smiles when we (Mr.D usually drops her off and I pick her up) take her. In the beginning, she was super attached to me when we got home after work. I couldn't put her down and walk away without her crying/whining. Luckily, that went away over the first couple weeks. She eats well and sleeps well there and is happy when we pick her up, so we couldn't ask for anything more.

I've found that I was pretty easily able to switch my brain back into work function. There are days that I definitely have to make myself a to-do list, but I haven't messed anything up too badly yet ;) I really struggled with going back to work and not having the time with Amelia, but having some adult interaction and not being "mom" for those hours in the day have been really good for me. I feel like I am a better and more patient (I have the worst patience!) mom. Being at work also means that I don't take my time with Amelia for granted- yes, the hours between 5-7pm can be crazy, but it's worth it.

The things that make the week days easier are getting everything of Amelia's together the night before, as well as meal planning. It means that we aren't struggling to come up with a meal idea while trying to feed/entertain Amelia after work. The other major thing is Mr.D- he takes Amelia in the morning while I get ready (and then we switch). He makes dinner when he's not coaching rugby and goes grocery shopping without complaining. I couldn't do it without him!



11 comments :

  1. Aww! Glad you're both adjusting well! I know I couldn't wait to go back to work. It was tough at first but to be around adults was such a nice change. To this day, Casey does the pick-up and drop-off for Rylie because we only have the one car. It goes well for him but if I have to do the pick-up or drop-off, she clings to me for whatever reason.
    The husbands really pull through though which is amazing - especially when you don't have to ask ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great you've found a good work-life balance so quickly! And that's great you and Brian share things so equally! I can't believe you've been back to work for two months already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy your new chapter is working out well! I felt the same way after getting back in the groove of things. And now that I'm starting mat leave #2, I'll have so much less anxiety about returning to work knowing that it's not the end of the world (umm, but maybe ask me again in 8 or so months).
    The only thing I wish I could magically change is to have basic house cleaning (kitchen, bathrooms, sweeping/mopping) taken care of. A weekly housekeeper would be a dream come true! How are you managing housework with your busy parenting, work, and exercise schedules?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you are all adjusting well to this big change! Having a great day home is a plus and makes it so much easier for everyone.

    Organization is key. Every night I have to spend 10 minutes getting everyone's stuff together or else the world would fall apart in the morning. It was far easier to be spontaneous before kids but now prepping ahead of time reduces stress so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!! So happy to read this post, I knew you would do great with the transition and felt the same way you do once I got into a routine with working full-time. So much so that I am not ready to be done work tomorrow - I might cry. But summer off with the girls will be awesome. Having a great dayhome that you kids like makes all the difference for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two months already! I'm three weeks in. I agree though - It's nice to have a break from being "Mama" 24/7, and I have noticed that I really cherish my time with the kids more since I have so much less of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that it was such a great transition back for you and you guys have been rocking it. Having a great day home makes everything so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to hear that going back to work has been a great transition for you and your family! I can see how you would be really anxious going into it as it was a big change to go through but I am glad that it's gone so well and that there are so many positives to it. Of course I have no idea how I will feel when I am a mom but if I had to guess, I'd say that I will maybe/hopefully have a similar experience.

    I think it is really wonderful that you've found a way to still exercise and do meal prep in the midst of working full time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahh I'm already stressed about going back to work. This made me feel better! I'm glad it's working out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you guys all adjusted well, transitions are not my favorite thing! I'm definitely going to have to work on my organizational skills in the next couple of months as they are pretty much non-existent at this point :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad it's working so well for you! And kudos for getting so much done while working full time too. I am not sure I could do it! ha ha

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...