Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Run for L'Arche: training week seven


Another week of training down! As the race day is getting closer and closer, I thought I'd talk about some tips to help you on race day.

1. Dress for the weather

We've been having amazing weather in Calgary lately, but you never know what race day could bring (just please no snow or rain mother nature!). Whether it is -10C or 10C, make sure you dress accordingly for the weather. I would rather be too warm and wear an extra layer around my waist from being too warm then not having enough layers on.

2. Don't try anything new

It's always better to wear clothes or shoes that you've run in before, so you know they won't cause you any issues. No wants to be pulling your new capris up every couple of steps because you thought they fit properly when you bought them ;)

3. Hydrate

Being hydrated is super important not just for race day, but for every day as well. Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the week before race day.

4. Sleep

Another thing that is not only important for race day, but for every day day too. I know that it can be hard to sleep well the night before the race due to nerves, but it can help on race day. 

5. Write down your goals

Even if you are running this race as your tenth race or your first, writing out your goals can help you succeed. Don't be scared to write down your big scary goals- you never know as you may just achieve them. 




Onto my training from last week:

Monday February 29
  • 5km walk with Harley

Tuesday March 1
  • Tempo run with Harley
    1km warm up
    5:15, 4:57, 4:58, 4:58, 5:09, 4:57
    1km cool down

Wednesday March 2
  • 21 day upper fix extreme

Thursday March 3
  • 5.11km run {5:17/km pace} run at lunch
  • 21 day total body cardio

Friday March 4
  • rest day

Saturday March 5
  • 11.26km run {5:30/km pace} with Harley. I had zero desire to do this, but felt good once I got out there


Sunday March 6 
  • 4km walk with Harley
  • T25 gamma rip't  

Tell me: how was your week of workouts?

4 comments :

  1. Awesome week for you...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on those runs- so fast!!! You are so ready for this race!! Look at that, running in a tank and capris!

    Great tips- I need to work on sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on your runs! I can't wait to see how you do come race day! I think you are doing awesome! And how amazing to be able to run in a tank and capris! It's been really nice here lately so it's killing me to not be able to run!!

    My workouts last week were pretty good, especially considering that I was traveling Sun-Thur and was sick at the start of the week. I worked out 3 out of 4 days when I was traveling, and then got some good workouts in over the weekend as well as lots of long walks outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really doing well! I think that your pace is quite quick, although my km to miles quick pace calc may be a bit off... It's been raining here for the last couple of weeks and so I have gotten in runs, but they have all been wet and squishy ones! It's going to be nice to really let loose after the weather clears up a bit (and the muddy trails are dry! It's a hazard!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...