Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Why I hired a running coach

I briefly mentioned last week that I had hired a running coach, but didn't go any further into it. I had been thinking about it for a while and signing up for the half at the Calgary Marathon was my motivation. I haven't ran a half marathon since March 2014 and knew I wanted to run at least one before we have another baby. Since having Amelia, I've been working on getting my speed back- while it's coming, I know that I am capable of more.

I made myself a training plan for the 5 mile that I ran a couple weeks ago and was able to get a PR. But, I had no idea what to do for a half marathon. Do I include hill training, what kind of tempo runs do I do? Etc. I also wanted someone to tell me exactly what to do and to help motivate me when the tempo runs are tough.

Enter Solana. Who is Solana? She is a badass ultra runner who went from running fast road races to running long distance on the trails. She posts pictures from the trails in her hometown in BC that make me incredibly jealous. When I was training for my second marathon (but hurt my knee and couldn't run it), she had made me a training plan that had me on track to run a strong marathon. I knew that she would be able to help me reach my goals. Maybe one day I will be as fast as her ;)



So far I'm four weeks into working with Solana, and I can say that her training plan is kicking my butt and making me work hard!

7 comments :

  1. That's awesome that working with her is going well! I think it helps to have a coach of some sort when you are training. We have 2 coaches in my running club and they plan all the workouts. I've definitely gotten faster as a result since they incorporate things like yassos, speed work, hills, etc. I'm not disciplined enough to plan those kind of workouts for myself so it helps to have someone telling me what to do. I'm sure you will run a really strong half! Have you picked which half you will do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to rock the Calgary half. I can't wait to cheer you across the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! How does it work? She makes you a plan and you check in with her weekly? I need a life coach! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great you hired a coach! It's nice to take the guess work out of some things and just have someone tell you what to do! Or help you when you have missed a run, or aren't feeling well, etc. You are going to rock your half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome!!! Solana is a super bad ass runner for sure. Maybe if I ever get my butt in gear with running again I will have to ask her to make me a training plan too! You will rock the half! Do you have an aggressive time goal? Also if you're working with Solana does that mean next thing for you is an ultra?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so awesome! I have always wanted to work with someone to try and get faster....someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you!!! I want to live where she lives. Maybe then I'd run more. :_

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...