Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Surfset with Illume hot yoga

As I mentioned in my weekend recap yesterday, I got to try a workout called surfset at Illume hot yoga on Sunday. No idea what surfset is? Don't worry, I only had a vague idea going into the class. From their website:

Let’s shake things up, literally. SURFSET® is all about getting away from the traditional static workout and challenging your body in new ways. Every exercise on the board is designed to engage your core & stabilizer muscles and shock the system to create real change inside & out. The body builder look is out & the lean surfer physique is in. You have to train like an athlete to build an athletic body type, and that means multi-planar movements that engage the body & mind in challenging and unique ways.

Here is a link to a video on youtube showing you exactly what it is.

We arrived 15 minutes early to fill out forms and get a tour of the studio. Our instructor was Telara and she was fabulous! The whole place is so well put together- they had pieces of art made by a local artist which is pretty cool.



Before we knew it, we were heading into the room and got set up on our boards and of course take a few pictures ;)






Telara did a quick introduction and it was right into the workout! Our class wasn't 100% what they do in a normal class, but she definitely didn't go easy on us. I'm pretty sure when she announced that we finished the warm up, everyone groaned and said, "that was the warm up?!" After the warm up, we did a cardio, strength and core portion which left us dripping in sweat. It's crazy how many different muscles you used while doing the workout. Our class was 45 minutes in length and felt like it flew by! 





I think the best of doing the class with a bunch of friends, was that we could laugh out loud at ourselves! There were a few moves that were super hard and you couldn't help laugh at yourself while you were trying not to fall off the side of the board ;)

Overall, I really enjoyed this class. It made me work more than I thought it would and loved changing it up from my normal workouts. Once I am done half marathon training, I may sign up for a 30 day intro pass for hot yoga and surf set (it's only $50! You can also do 30 day intro pass for surf set for $40).



Thanks again to Illume hot yoga and Telara for having us :)

9 comments :

  1. Fun! I have never heard of this kind of workout. I can see how it'd be a great workout since you are working out on an unstable surface which works different muscles. I'd love to try a class like that sometime so will have to see if they are offered anywhere in Minneapolis. When I am back to working out I might get a class pass so I can do classes in different studios - I figure that would be a good way to check out new classes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO fun! I haven't heard of it either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun workout, really sad I missed out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a fun class, and that pass is so affordable! I might have to give it a shot some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! The class was way tougher than I was expecting, but in a good way! I was pretty sore yesterday actually. I wish I lived closer so I could take advantage of that one month intro deal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so fun!! I would love to try this class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like soo much fun!!!! I'd never heard of such a class!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a a fun class! I am totally signing up - when is your race again and then we can try and do the same month - if you're signing up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a fun class ESPECIALLY because I got to do it with all of my friends. I absolutely LOVED surfing in real life and this class took me right back to the beaches of hawaii. I really wish we had a studio that offered this in Red Deer. And oh did my booty burn yesterday!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...