Tuesday, September 13, 2016

AntiGravity Fitness with inFlight Fitness




On Saturday, Ange organized for the blog squad to try an antigravity fitness class at Inflight Fitness. Going into the class, I had zero ideas of what to expect. I also thought I was going to be terrible at it as I am not coordinated at all! What is antigravity fitness you might ask? From their website:


AntiGravity® Fitness is a unique hybrid of aerial arts and yoga. It is a low-impact cardiovascular workout that simultaneously decompresses and strengthens your musculoskeletal system. This popular fitness technique combines gymnastics, dance, pilates, calisthenics and yoga to increase your overall health and physical agility. The technique was originally created by gymnasts and aerial acrobats that used the Harrison AntiGravity® Hammock for competitions and performances, and has now been modified and enhanced to cater to the everyday athlete and to enhance your weekly workout. AntiGravity® Fitness allows you to enjoy both meanings of its nomenclature — against gravity and against graveness — manipulating physics while staying lighthearted.

Each person has their own hammock:

The Harrison AntiGravity® Hammock is a structural fabric that is connected from two overhead points. It acts like a swing or soft trapeze. The Harrison Hammock is utilized by beginners and experts alike to bend, stretch, hang, swing and relax, allowing you to increase your fitness level by incorporating a new dimension of exercise into your routine.

Alison opened her studio in May of this year, so the location is new, clean and beautifully designed inside. Her husband also teaches jiu jitsu in the studio as well.  

Before the class started, Alison went around the room adjusting each of our hammocks so they hit us at the waist line. You don't need to bring anything to the class, but do need to:
  • wear a t-shirt (no tank tops allowed)
  • no jewellery
  • wear grip socks
Before we knew it, we were getting right into it! Alison lead us through some warm ups to get used to the hammocks, and then into some exercises to help open our hips, shoulders, etc, which felt so good. The best way to describe this class is yoga mixed with some acrobatics. 





  
And then it was right into our first inversion. I had visions of falling straight onto my head, but luckily that didn't happen. Alison was a great teacher as well- she would demonstrate everything fully first, and then help guide us through the exercises.  

 




Alison thought we were all pretty darn amazing at it (haha), so she demonstrated and then helped us into a movement called dracula. I promise it looks way harder than it was! It was such a core burner too.


My two favourite parts of the class were laughing so hard until I cried at Nicole when we did the first inversion. She was terrified to go up side down, but conquered her fear with only a few "okays" to get through it. My other favourite part was when we got to literally swing on the hammocks- felt like a little kid again!


Thank you again to Alison for having us and for being a wonderful teacher! And to Ange for organizing it :)

6 comments :

  1. Swinging would be really fun! I definitely hope to give this a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun! I would totally try something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dracula pose looks awesome. I've done a class like this before and loved it! I'm sad I missed out on trying it with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been dreaming about going back since our class! It was so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to go back when I'm not pregnant and try all the inversions! I'm sorry I ruined some of the photos just swinging there haha ;) I'm so glad we got to try a class like this with friends though! I think I'd be too nervous to go alone in a room full of strangers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO fun!! I'm glad I kept you entertained and that I was doing the class with you ladies and not some strangers!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...