Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Canmore half marathon: race report

I can't even remember when I signed up for the Canmore half marathon, but it might have been after I saw Jen and Lindsey talking about running it. I had never run the race before and it looked like a scenic course, so why the heck not?! I also just checked and pretty sure this was my 14th half marathon!

Race package pickup was in Calgary the days before the race at the Tech Shop, so I went on the Thursday on my lunch hour to pick our race packages up. I was in and out of there in less than 10 minutes. The packages were pretty simple- just our race number and the buff. 

I woke up on race morning and it was cold and rainy outside! I was so tempted to stay in bed, but Jen and her husband Tom were coming to pick me up. They picked me up just after 7am and we were on our way to Canmore. We found parking pretty close to the race start and went into the school since it was raining. We pretty much stayed in the school until the last minute and even joked about going for breakfast instead, haha. Jen and I had agreed to run it together for fun, so we lined up towards the back and before we knew it, we were off!  It took a while to get across the start line, and when we reached the front we quickly figured out that there was a HUGE puddle across the start line. 


The race course winds through the town and residential area before heading onto the gravel pathways. It wouldn't have been bad on a dry day, but it was raining on and off, so the pathways were pretty soggy and puddle filled. The second half of the course is filled with way more hills that don't seem to end. Good thing we agreed to walk them! The rain quit for a bit and then picked up all the way until the finish. We were soaked by the end! 

at the start line and wondering what we signed up for!




So wet!


We ended up finishing in 2:12, which is totally fine with me. We were having fun chatting, jumping across the hundreds of puddles and not caring about our finishing time. Thanks again Jen for running with me!

9 comments :

  1. Nice work! The course looks really beautiful! I can see how it was extra challenging on a wet/rainy day, though. And that is impressive that you've done 14 HMs! I am not sure how many I have done but I'd guess around 6-8? I don't race very often, though. Usually I only do about 1 race a year since they get so expensive (at least where I live). That's great that you guys ran this together and just had fun out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work running in the cold and rain. I would have wanted to opt for breakfast instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great that you were able to have a good time despite the weather - YAY for running buddies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was your 14th! I didn't know you had done so many for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job for getting up and running despite the crap weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your photos! It was SO wet out, all my races have been so nice so I was not sure how I would do in the cold but it was not as bad as I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun to get out with a friend for a half! Sometimes those rainy days are nice for running too. The fall colours look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 14 half marathons?! That's awesome!! I think it's great you two got out there in the cold and ran together. I know some races are good for trying to get a PR, but I know I really enjoy running with a friend if the opportunity presents itself :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy moly 14 half-marathons is a lot! That's so awesome! I bet it was so much more enjoyable to run with a friend.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...