Thursday, September 15, 2016

Edmonton marathon: race report

Way back after I ran the Calgary half marathon at the end of May, I signed up to run the Edmonton half marathon in August. I ran a fantastic race at the Calgary half {ran a 5 minute PR}, so I decided to train again and see what I could accomplish this time. I worked with Solana again, who had me running 4 days a week this training cycle and doing lots of speed work.  I had a pretty strong training cycle minus having to take some time off as my calf got super tight, so I had to go to physio and have dry needling done.

The race was on Sunday morning, so we headed up to Edmonton on the Saturday as my niece was also having her birthday party. I picked up my race package late Saturday afternoon, so the expo was pretty quiet which made it easy to get in and out of there quickly. The race packages included: your bib, a tshirt, and some pamphlets/coupons. 


The race didn't start until 8am on Sunday, which was kind of nice as I didn't have to get up super early. My in-laws live close to downtown (the race starts and finishes outside of the Shaw conference centre), so my MIL dropped me off around 7:30am and had no problems getting me close to the start line. Because the other races (full marathon and 10k) started earlier, I had no problems using the portapotty without waiting. I slowly made my way to the start line and before I know it, it was time to run! You can find the route map here. I have never run this race before, so I had no idea what to expect from the course. It was pretty flat except for the one mean hill that you have to run down and then up at the turn around point. There wasn't much crowd support on the course, but I do remember Lululemon having a cheer section which was pretty good.

It was a gorgeous morning out although it got pretty warm fast! The heat definitely got to me shortly into the race. The first 3-4kms of the race I was feeling good and like I was going to have a great race. Shortly after that, it all went downhill. My legs and brain DID NOT want me to run at all. I took so many walk breaks and decided today wasn't my day. It was all about getting to the finish line. Around the 13km mark, I was playing leap frog with a lady and ended up saying to her that I was going to stick with her. We ended up talking on and off, and got each other to the finish line. I definitely would have been a lot slower without her!

Smiling because I saw Brian and because I was almost done




I ended up finishing in 1:57, so definitely not bad considering how much I walked of it.
 

9 comments :

  1. When you said you had a bad race and walked, I assumed it was way slower than 1:57. You're a rockstar. You must have thought my pace in Canmore was really slow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Rockstar. I did one 5K race several years ago and thought I was a superhero. ;) I don't even know how half-marathoners and marathoners do it! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's still a great time! But I know the feeling (and the frustration) when it's just not your day. At least you have that awesome PR at Calgary to look back on this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, like the others have said, I think you're still a rockstar. Good job finishing even if you felt it wasn't your race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That staggered start timing is interesting, it can certainly be hot in August. Great race, way to git er done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is still a great time. I know it's not what you were hoping for and that feeling sucks, but it's a respectable time, especially considering that you walked. Running in the heat makes it extra extra challenging. I know you'll hit your goal in the future, though. That day just wasn't your day. But nonetheless, CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job!! I didn't know you did this race. CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a terrible time!! Not.... Sucks that it wasn't your race but you still killed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When it's not your day it's not your day! That's still a REALLY strong time for it "not being your day" so it's clear working with Solana and the speedwork is really working out well for you!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...