Thursday, March 9, 2017

Recent Reads

I've actually been reading quite a bit lately, so I thought I would share a couple books that I've read with you. You can find all of the books I've read on my Goodreads account. 


Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom

The Rules:

Don’t deceive me. Ever. Especially using my blindness. Especially in public.

Don’t help me unless I ask. Otherwise you're just getting in my way or bothering me.

Don’t be weird. Seriously, other than having my eyes closed all the time, I’m just like you only smarter. 


Parker Grant doesn’t need 20/20 vision to see right through you. That’s why she created the Rules: Don’t treat her any differently just because she’s blind, and never take advantage. There will be no second chances. Just ask Scott Kilpatrick, the boy who broke her heart.

When Scott suddenly reappears in her life after being gone for years, Parker knows there’s only one way to react—shun him so hard it hurts. She has enough on her mind already, like trying out for the track team (that’s right, her eyes don’t work but her legs still do), doling out tough-love advice to her painfully naive classmates, and giving herself gold stars for every day she hasn’t cried since her dad’s death three months ago. But avoiding her past quickly proves impossible, and the more Parker learns about what really happened—both with Scott, and her dad—the more she starts to question if things are always as they seem. Maybe, just maybe, some Rules are meant to be broken.

Combining a fiercely engaging voice with true heart, debut author Eric Lindstrom’s Not If I See You First illuminates those blind spots that we all have in life, whether visually impaired or not.


My rating: 3/5
Thoughts: It was a cute, young adult book about Parker who recently lost her father and became blind after a car accident. It was a cute and easy read, but I know some of the other reviewers thought she was selfish and stuck up.



All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

As the daughter of a meth dealer, Wavy knows not to trust people, not even her own parents. Struggling to raise her little brother, eight-year-old Wavy is the only responsible "adult" around. She finds peace in the starry Midwestern night sky above the fields behind her house. One night everything changes when she witnesses one of her father's thugs, Kellen, a tattooed ex-con with a heart of gold, wreck his motorcycle. What follows is a powerful and shocking love story between two unlikely people that asks tough questions, reminding us of all the ugly and wonderful things that life has to offer.

My rating: 5/5
Thoughts: To be honest, I don't know how to put my feelings into words about this book. There are some things that made me feel icky (can't say or else it will give the book away), but I also really enjoyed it. I tried to describe my thoughts and feelings to a co-worker and ended up just saying read it!



Things You Won't Say by Sarah Pekkanen

In this timely and provocative novel, internationally bestselling author Sarah Pekkanen takes us inside a family in crisis and a marriage on the brink after a tragic shooting.

How far would you go to save your family?

Every morning, as her husband Mike straps on his SIG Sauer and pulls on his heavy Magnum boots, Jamie Anderson tenses up. Then comes the call she has always dreaded: There's been a shooting at police headquarters. Mike isn't hurt, but his long-time partner is grievously injured. As weeks pass and her husband's insomnia and disconnectedness mount, Jamie realizes he is an invisible casualty of the attack. Then the phone rings again. Another shooting but this time Mike has pulled the trigger.

But the shooting does more than just alter Jamie's world. It's about to change everything for two other women. Christie Simmons, Mike's flamboyant ex, sees the tragedy as an opportunity for a second chance with Mike. And Jamie's younger sister, Lou, must face her own losses to help the big sister who raised her. As the press descends and public cries of police brutality swell, Jamie tries desperately to hold together her family, no matter what it takes.

In her characteristic exploration of true-to-life relationships, Sarah Pekkanen has written a complex, compelling, and openhearted novel her best yet.


My rating: 3/5
Thoughts: this book could have taken any recent headline from the news lately. It was an okay book, but not my favourite. The author was similar to a Jodi Picoult book, but not quite there. 



Before I Go by Colleen Oakley

A heart-wrenching debut novel in the bestselling tradition of P.S. I Love You about a young woman with breast cancer who undertakes a mission to find a new wife for her husband before she passes away.

Twenty-seven-year-old Daisy already beat breast cancer three years ago. How can this be happening to her again?

On the eve of what was supposed to be a triumphant “Cancerversary” with her husband Jack to celebrate three years of being cancer-free, Daisy suffers a devastating blow: her doctor tells her that the cancer is back, but this time it’s an aggressive stage four diagnosis. She may have as few as four months left to live. Death is a frightening prospect—but not because she’s afraid for herself. She’s terrified of what will happen to her brilliant but otherwise charmingly helpless husband when she’s no longer there to take care of him. It’s this fear that keeps her up at night, until she stumbles on the solution: she has to find him another wife.

With a singular determination, Daisy scouts local parks and coffee shops and online dating sites looking for Jack’s perfect match. But the further she gets on her quest, the more she questions the sanity of her plan. As the thought of her husband with another woman becomes all too real, Daisy’s forced to decide what’s more important in the short amount of time she has left: her husband’s happiness—or her own?


My rating: 3/5
Thoughts: this book had potential, but I just wanted to hit the main character throughout the whole book to wake up and realize she's dying! Stop focusing on these things that don't matter and spend time with your husband, family and friends. 


Tell me: what books have you read lately? Any recommendations?

4 comments :

  1. Adding that second one to my reading list! Love seeing what other people have read and enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo, I love it when people talk about books. I was debating whether to read All the Ugly and Wonderful Things. I won the best book of the year award on The Book of the Month Club, but I had also heard there was some upsetting content. Sounds like I should check it out anyways!!

    I've been reading quite a bit lately, too! Some of my favorites were When Breath Becomes Air (such a tear jerker, I think you've read this one), I'll Give you the Sun (great YA book), Dark Matter (page turning sci-fi'ish book - usually don't read that genre but a friend suggested this book), and right now I'm reading The Sun is Also a Star which is another YA book. Only about 10 pages in but it's really great so far and I can already tell I'm going to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well look at you reading all the books! I have not been reading at all this past few weeks. Just haven't felt much like it...can't even say I'm in a rut! I do have All the Ugly and Wonderful Things on my list though! Glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard good things about All the Ugly and Wonderful Things but hesitate because of the icky factor...
    You should join the book linkup with Life According to Steph - It's next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...